Trace the steps of the women who saved and founded Portland's most treasured landmarks, ran the factories, and ran for office. Jaunt through the Arts District and West End on this guided walking tour.
About this activity
- Free cancellation
- Cancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
- Reserve now & pay later
- Keep your travel plans flexible — book your spot and pay nothing today.
- Duration 2 hours
- Check availability to see starting times.
- Live tour guide
- Wheelchair accessible
Select participants and date
Meet your guide at Portland's city hall facing Congress Street, at the head of Exchange Street. This is 0.6 miles from the cruise ship terminal. It is a grand building made of granite stone with a cupola on top. Your guide will be in the open plaza at the front steps holding a Portland by the Foot sign. The Elm Street Parking Garage (https://www.portlandmaine.gov/431/City-Owned-Garages) at 21 Elm Street is right around the corner from where the tour starts. Street parking options are restricted to 2 hours or fewer. Meters are free on Sundays.Open in Google Maps ⟶
What to bring
- Comfortable shoes
- Pets (assistance dogs allowed)
Know before you go
- Plan on walking brick sidewalks (sometimes a little narrow or uneven) and finding a seat in the shade every so often. This tour is 1.3 miles long and the longest distance between tour stops is about 0.2 miles (a 4-minute walk)
- A portion of every ticket sale will help fund the restoration of the Abyssinian Meeting House, Maine's oldest, and America's third-oldest Black church