Legal company name
Historic Village Herberton Pty Ltd
6 Broadway 4887 Herberton Queensland
GetYourGuide answers all contacts on behalf of the activity provider
About the activity provider
Back in the 1950s, many relics were being sold off for scrap metal. Old buildings were being condemned for demolition. Collector Harry Skennar had a vision – to preserve history for generations to come. He set about creating The Village back in 1973, bringing the first building, Elderslie House, onto the site beside Wild River. Many more buildings and relics followed. Most of the dwellings met for the first time when they arrived at the Village from around the region during the 1970s. With the exception of the Tin Pannikin Pub, everything in the village dates from Herberton’s foundation years and almost all the buildings are as they were originally constructed. Regular maintenance keeps them sturdy and secure and in some cases modern lighting, safety grills, screens and steps have been installed for visitors safety. The Historic Village Herberton is an outdoor museum presenting the story of Australia’s pioneering past. Its particular focus is on the tin mining town of Herberton, which is its home. Herberton is the oldest town on the Tablelands, established in 1880 on the back of a tin mining boom. The Historic Village pays homage to this era when mining dominated the mineral rich mountains of the Atherton Tablelands. It has a strong interest in turn of the century machinery and small engines, transport, fashion and pharmaceuticals as well as motor vehicles and war memorabilia. Priceless Australian collections from grocery items and tobacco to treasured dolls and toys also feature prominently throughout the museum.