Venice: Saint Mark’s Basilica Exclusive Evening Access
- Reserve your slot to see St Mark’s Basilica empty except for your small tour group
- Enjoy expert commentary from your guide as frescoes and mosaics appear dramatically from the dark
- See the crypt and the jewel-encrusted Pala d’Oro altarpiece, both off-limits to most visitors
- Avoid daytime crowds that might distract from the dazzling experience
As you adjust to the rare quiet, the space will gradually light up, with meticulously-orchestrated illuminations revealing the glass/gold mosaics and testament frescoes, one by one. Your guide’s commentary will bring the frescoes to life, as you listen to the unbelievable story of the church’s namesake, St Mark the Evangelist.
In the absence of the daytime crowd, the church custodian will grant access to areas in St. Mark’s Basilica that are normally off-limits. Items protected from the daytime rush include the Pala d’Oro, a Byzantine altarpiece adorned with 2,000 precious stones. You’ll see it close enough to count them all. And you’ll have a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to enter the crypt, where St. Mark the Evangelist himself is thought to rest.
It’s a vivid introduction to Venice through one of the city’s greatest landmarks and a peaceful experience few visitors to this historic church will ever repeat.
- Expert English-speaking guide
- Privileged Night Access to St. Mark’s Basilica
- Small groups of 25 persons or less
- Headsets when appropriate, so you can always hear your guide
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Food/ beverages
- Wheelchair users
Prepare for the activity
Meet at the foot of Ponte della Paglia, the bridge with the view of the Ponte dei Sospiri (Bridge of Sighs), just outside in front of the Doge's Palace, facing the lagoon. Address: Ponte della Paglia, 30124 Venice, Metropolitan City of Venice, Italy.Open in Google Maps ⟶
- Sleeveless shirts
• Entrance into religious sites requires a strict dress code. Knees and shoulders must be covered for both men and women. The local tour operator cannot be held responsible for refused entry due to improper dress
• This tour involves a fair amount of walking, comfortable shoes are recommended
• With regret guests with wheelchairs or any impairments requiring special assistance cannot be accommodated • Strollers or baby carriages on group tours cannot be accommodated
• Photography is permitted throughout most of the tour; however, photography is prohibited in St. Mark’s Basilica
• Please avoid bringing large purses, bags or backpacks on your tour. St. Mark’s Basilica specifically prohibits large bags, umbrellas and tripods
• If you are not familiar with Venice, please give yourself ample time to find the meeting points