Yanaka District: Historical Walking Tour in Tokyo's Old Town
- Explore the accessible town of Yanaka and live the "old town" experience
- Stroll through a massive locals-only market that dates back to the 1940s
- Visit Nezu Shrine through the vibrant red Torii gates and learn about traditional Japanese views on religion
- Travel with a local guide in small group tour with less than 7 people
- Savor an authentic Japanese lunch and sample the most popular Japanese snacks
Start the tour at Yanaka Cemetery, where you can admire the calm and beautiful natural scenery. Marvel at the huge cedar, which is almost 100 years old and very famous in the area. After that, heading to the Nezu Shrine, which is very famous for the consecutive red Torii gates reminiscent of Kyoto's Fushimi Inari Taisha Shrine, one of the most popular destinations in Japan.
After you have learned about Japanese religions at the shrine, head into the Yanaka Ginza area, the highlight of the tour. Walk around this small, old town, and witness how locals truly live as this area doesn't attract many tourists. Also, because the Yanaka town wasn't damaged by the bombs during the world war, you can see the old buildings, markets, shops, which still remain as they were in the 1940's.
Stop for a break at a restaurant which is very popular among the locals for it's traditional, authentic Japanese lunch. After eating lunch, walk along the Yanaka shopping streets to finish the tour, where you will try some Japanese street snacks for dessert recommended by the locals.
- Local English-speaking guide
- Japanese-style lunch
- Food samplings (various types of local snacks and sweets)
- Additional food and drink (available to purchase with cash)
- People with mobility impairments
Prepare for the activity
In front of the Doutor Coffee Shop in North/East Side of Nippori Station; the shop is yellow and black. Don't go to Nishi-Nippori Station — that is the wrong station. Go to Nippori Station. Your guide will be holding a red and orange sign with the name of the local partner on it.Open in Google Maps ⟶
• You can cancel the tour with no charge until 24 hours before the tour start time
• Please arrive at the meeting point on time; you will not be able to join the tour, get a refund, or reschedule if you are late for the tour and miss the group
• Please bring some cash as most old shops don't accept credit cards
• Please wear comfortable shoes and clothes