Tokyo: Signature Sightseeing Tour
Pickup optionalFrom your hotel in Tokyo or Chiba
- Visit the Meiji Shrine, with the largest wooden Torii in the world
- Visit Imperial Palace and learn about the history of Japan's Emperor
- Learn about the history of the oldest temple in Tokyo
- See the city from a different angle aboard a Tokyo water bus
- Absorb the warm atmosphere of Shibamata's old town
Following that, you will visit the Tokyo Imperial Palace (Kokyo). It is the primary residence of the Emperor of Japan, consisting of a large park-like area located in the Chiyoda ward of Tokyo. It contains buildings including the main palace, the private residences of the Imperial Family, an archive, museums, and administrative offices.
The next stop is Sensoji, the ancient Buddhist temple located in Asakusa. It is Tokyo's oldest and one of its most significant temples. Adjacent to the temple is a 5-story pagoda called the Asakusa Shinto Shrine. The Kaminarimon is the outer of two large entrance gates that ultimately lead to the Sensō-ji in Asakusa. The gate, with its lantern and statues, is hugely popular with tourists.
After visiting Sensoji you will have free lunchtime in Nakamise-Dori, in Asakusa. It is a street that leads to the temple that is approximately 250 meters in length and contains around 89 shops and restaurants. The morning section of your tour will conclude there.
In the afternoon, you will continue your tour to the Asakusa Pier where you'll board a Tokyo water bus, which has recently become a hot-spot in Tokyo. See Tokyo from a different perspective and take in panoramic views of the city skyline.
The last spot of the tour is the old neighborhood of Shibamata. Absorb the warm atmosphere of the old town that still bears a close resemblance to Edo, one that has a special place in the heart of many Japanese people. See the filming location of the long-running TV film series “Otoko wa Tsurai Yo,” which translates to “It’s Tough Being a Man”. Visit the Shibamata Taishakuten, a Buddhist temple founded in 1629. Then, take a leisurely stroll through the calm Japanese garden passing beautiful sculptures.
In the end, you can then choose to either enjoy your evening in Akihabara, considered by many to be the center of modern Japanese popular culture and a major shopping district for computer-related goods or take the bus back to Shinjuku to finish your tour there.
- Transportation by coach for the itinerary
- Private or shared tour (depending on option chosen)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (if private option chosen)
- Tokyo Cruise ticket (from Asakusa Pier to Hinode Pier)
- English/Chinese-speaking tour leader
- Food and drinks
Prepare for the activity
On the ground floor of Mitsui Sumitomo Bank, Shinjuku Nishiguchi Branch on the left-hand side of the Shinjuku L Tower Starbucks. Nearest exit is JR West Exit or Metro West Gate. Tour leader will be holding a yellow "ONTABI" flag.Open in Google Maps ⟶
- Comfortable shoes
- Luggage or large bags
• This tour will take place rain or shine
• There will be between 5-10 minutes of walking while exploring the temple/shrine with your guide