Tbilisi: Mtskheta, Jvari, Gori and Uplistsikhe Day Tour
- Visit the main Cathedral of Georgia, Svetitskhoveli
- Learn the history of the Jvari Monastery
- Marvel at the confluence of the rivers Aragvi and Mtkvari
- Discover Uplistsikhe cave town
- Explore Gori and the Museum of Stalin
- Enjoy a traditional Georgian lunch
With your local guide, continue onto Gori, the homeland of Stalin, to visit Stalin’s house, museum and train wagon. At the Stalin museum, learn about the life of the infamous dictator at the exhibit which includes unique photos, gifts and furniture. After the museum there’s time for lunch in the city of Gori, with the option to choose between dining at a Georgian restaurant, or having lunch with a local family with private wine cellar to taste traditional Georgian wines.
After lunch head to the cave town of Uplistsikhe, named “Fortress of the Lord”, situated on a rocky mount on the left bank of the river Mtkvari. The fortress is mentioned in chronicles dating back to the earliest of times, and its history began in the I-II millennium B.C. Uplistsikhe was an important religious, political and cultural center in the Hellenistic and the late Antique periods, and it has been identified as one of the oldest urban settlements in Georgia. Enjoy an interesting walking tour here of the rock-cut structures, including and amphitheater.
Lastly, visit the Svetitskhoveli cathedral, a sacred place where the robe of Christ is being kept, a masterpiece of the Early Middle Ages, and a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- 1 bottle of water
- Guide service
- Foods and drinks (optional)
- Entrance fee to Museum of Stalin in Gori (5 USD per person) (optional)
- Entrance fee to Uplistsikhe (USD $5 per person)
- People with back problems
- People with claustrophobia
- Wheelchair users
Prepare for the activity
- Passport or ID card
- Comfortable shoes
• Vegetarian option is available