'Madama Butterfly' at Sydney Opera House by Opera Australia
- See world class opera at the iconic Sydney Opera House
- Discover the world’s most famous love story in a bold new production by choreographer Graeme Murphy
- Get ready for a good tearjerker with stunning sets and costumes
Enchanted by the beauty of Japan, the American naval officer Pinkerton takes a young geisha for his wife. The innocent Madame Butterfly falls helplessly, hopelessly in love. But every ship must return to its shore, and Pinkerton returns home, leaving his bride behind. Butterfly waits patiently for her husband to return, and when he comes at last, both lovers have a surprise in store.
This long-awaited reimagining uses the same incredible technology that wowed audiences in Aida, where towering flexible LED screens form a dynamic backdrop filled with moving images.
Puccini’s sumptuous score includes the hit aria ‘Un bel di’.
See it if you like a good tearjerker, Miss Saigon, stunning sets and costumes
- Opera performance ticket
- Food and beverages
- Transport and parking
When you get there
Tickets will be available at the Sydney Opera House Box Office one hour before the performance, under the same name as your GetYourGuide Booking. Performance is in the Joan Sutherland Theatre. Getting there: Many buses, trains and all ferries stop at Circular Quay. It is then a 10-minute walk to the Sydney Opera House. You can plan your trip with Transport NSW. Taxis can drop you off near the roundabout at the end of Macquarie Street.Open in Google Maps ⟶
• Please bring and present a photo ID bearing the name used for booking to collect your tickets at the box office. Printing or presenting this voucher will not be required.
• While it is fun to dress up for the opera, there is no mandatory dress code. An extra layer is advised because it can get cold in the theatre.
• Guests are recommended to arrive early to avoid rushing. Ushers will close the doors at show time and may not allow latecomers in until there is a suitable pause in the performance.