From Sorrento: Half-Day Herculaneum Express by Local Train
- Travel on the local train to Herculaneum
- See far more lavish use of colored marble cladding on houses than Pompei
- Skip the queues with privileged entrance
Invaded with hot volcanic mud during the eruption of Vesuvius in 79 AD, Herculaneum was a wealthier town than Pompei possessing an extraordinary density of fine houses with, for example, far more lavish use of colored marble cladding. The 20 mar deep pyroclastic material which invaded Herculaneum, preserved wooden and other organic-based objects and 300 skeletons were discovered along what was once the seashore (all artifacts are now in Naples Museum).
Today, many ancient streets and buildings are visible, although over 75% of the Roman town remains buried under the modern towns of Ercolano and Portico.
- Round trip train tickets
- Entrance fees
- Authorized professional guide
When you get there
Please arrive at 9:20 AM at the Sorrento train station by the newsagent. Your guide will be wearing a red polo shirt, and will give you all the necessary information. Address: CIrcumvesuviana, Piazza Giovanni Battista de Curtis, 80067 Sorrento NA, ItalyOpen in Google Maps ⟶
• The tour is available every Monday and Wednesday. The train leaves at 9:37 AM.