Rila Monastery Day Trip from Sofia
- See the beautiful sights from the Rila Mountains
- Explore the historic Rila Monastery at your own pace
- Benefit from a reliable round-trip shuttle service from Sofia city center
Get over 2 hours of free time to explore the complex, founded by the hermit monk Ivan Rilski in 927 AD. Marvel at the frescoes of the main church and visit the medieval tower independently. Wander down quiet outdoor corridors adorned with beautiful mosaics, and see gold-plated iconostasis and valuable icons from the 14th to 19th century.
Learn more about the history of the site at the museum, where highlights include the double-sided crucifix of the Rila Cross. See the old bakery and other monuments, including the residential area of high stone walls and little windows.
Board the minibus back to Sofia in the afternoon and get dropped off at the pick-up point on arrival.
- Round-trip minibus shuttle transfer to Rila Monastery from Sofia
- Entrance fees (optional)
- Meals and drinks
- Guide service at Rila Monastery (optional)
- People with back problems
- People with mobility impairments
- Wheelchair users
Prepare for the activity
Board the shuttle service at the car parking lot behind St. Alexander Nevski Cathedral, Sofia. Look for the minibus with the "Rila Shuttle" sign in front of La Catedrale Restaurant.Open in Google Maps ⟶
- Comfortable shoes
- Smoking in the vehicle
• Wear warm clothes as it can be extremely cold at Rila Monastery, especially in the fall and winter period
• Dining options are limited, so it is recommended that you bring your own food
• Child/baby seats have to be requested in advance, up to 24 hours before travel date