Sani Pass Private Tour
Pickup includedWithin 10 Km's from the centre of Underberg we will collect you from your accommodation. Please advise accommodation. If further we will offer a convenient option for you which could be at a minimal charge.
- Travel along the gravel corkscrew bends of the Sani Pass in a private spacious 4x4 vehicle
- Enjoy refreshments overlooking scenic viewpoints in the quiet early morning
- Cross the Lesotho border and be introduced to an exclusive homestead alive with chickens, sheep and children
- Taste traditional food in tiny restaurant and hear the life stories of elusive shepherds in their stone dwellings
As the altitude increases, the road becomes narrower and more treacherous, and all signs of human habitation disappear, leaving you alone in the glory of the majestic mountains. Stop and take photos at your leisure, and enjoy a selection of hot and cold beverages and freshly baked snacks as you absorb the breathtaking views.
Nearing the top of the pass at 2876 m, head through border control and towards the desolate Lesotho Highlands. Visit a private homestead and immerse yourself in the local community. Learn about the culture and lifestyle of this small family, watch them bake fresh bread, and the children playing games in the yard. Afterwards, enjoy a traditional food tasting in a small local restaurant at a shepherd’s trading station. Then take a walk to learn the stories of the shepherds within their own stone dwellings.
Finally, enjoy a refreshing beer at the highest pub in Southern Africa on the return journey before relaxing in the 4×4 as you marvel at more stunning scenic views.
- Collection from accommodation if not more than 10 km outside of Underberg
- Private vehicle offering extra space and a dedicated professional guide who gives you personal attention
- Luxury seating and air conditioning
- Warm or cold towels
- Warm and cold beverages, and freshly baked snacks are on hand at stops
- Private and exclusive visit to a homestead including an informative blanket presentation
- Visit to a shepherd's home
- Blankets when cold
- Access to sights you would otherwise miss
- Collection from accommodation if more than 10 km from Underberg
- On the shorter tour lunch at a traditional village will be an extra cost (on the longer tour lunch is included, consideration for dietary request will be accommodated where possible)
- Additional drinks
- Personal expenses
- Sparking wine, wine, chocolates, or other special beverages which can be requested at an additional cost
Prepare for the activity
- Passport or ID card
- Visa if required
• Comfortable shoes are preferable for the short walks
• Bring small change for purchase of crafts
• Please check passport validity and if visas are required