San Diego: Coronado Bay & the Beach Small Group Walking Tour
- Discover the sunshine and scenery of the famed Coronado Island
- Visit the historic Hotel del Coronado, where celebs and presidents have laid their heads
- Enjoy a delicious treat at a local eatery
- Gain a unique insight into an ‘island’ town that’s home to the US Navy, a glut of multi-million dollar homes and a sea of enthusiastic beach dwellers
Start your tour by taking a ferry ride over to Coronado. As you sail across the bay you’ll get great photo opportunities of the downtown San Diego skyline and the Coronado Bridge. An active port, you never know what you’ll see sailing by.
Once you arrive at Coronado, hop aboard local transit and head down Orange Avenue, the main street in town named after the orange trees planted here in the late 19th century. After a short ride you’ll arrive the main part of town, lined with cafes, shops and restaurants, almost all locally-owned and operated.
Along the way learn about the first military flying school located on the island, where sailors first learned to fly. Spy architectural gems, some of which employed the latest technology when built over a century ago. And you’ll hear what drew Charles Lindbergh, L. Frank Baum and Marilyn Monroe to this unique beach town. Pop into a local museum (subject to availability) to look at artefacts and photos that bring these stories to life.
Make a quick stop for a snack at a local eatery. It could be something sweet or something savory – depending on your mood – but whichever way you go, it will be locally made and delicious.
Refreshed, take a stroll down to Star Park, where the “Wizard of Oz” house is located and then make your way to Coronado beach, one of the best in the country. On a clear day you can see all the way to Mexico! Stroll by multi-million dollar homes that line Ocean Blvd and you’ll hear about the people who once lived there, including the residents of the historic Spreckels Mansion.
Your last stop will be at the world-famous, historic Hotel del Coronado. This icon is over 125 years old and is an American treasure, having hosted celebrities, dignitaries, and US presidents in its rooms. Take a tour around the grounds, finishing up just outside the spectacular Crown Room (home to a luxe Sunday brunch).
From here, you’re free to explore on your own. Your guide will make suggestions on what else to see and do, give you tips on where to eat and shop and let you know the times for the next shuttle or ferry.
- Local English-speaking guide
- Public transportation costs during the tour (bus and ferry)
- Entry into Historical Museum (subject to availability)
- One snack
- Additional food and drinks (food costs range from about USD 8 to 20)
- Souvenirs and personal items
- Tips/gratuities for your guide
Prepare for the activity
This is a child-friendly tour.