Petrópolis: Imperial City Tour
Pickup includedPick-up is only available from hotels located in downtown, Lapa district and south area of Rio. Please consult the supplier to find the closest meeting point from your hotel, if necessary.
- Enjoy a day full of culture and history of the Brazilian royal family
- Visit the summer palace of the royal family
- See beautiful historic buildings throughout the city
- See the imperial family's royal jewels
Your tour begins with pick-up from your accommodation between 8:00 and 9:00 AM. You’ll then take the approximately 1-hour drive to Petrópolis on a comfortable air-conditioned bus. On the way, you’ll catch beautiful views of the mountains and the green spaces of the National Park of Serra dos Orgãos. Once at the city, start your visit with Quitandinha Palace, which used to be the biggest casino hotel in Latin America. Take some pictures at the palace, and then continue with a tour of the Imperial Museum, once the summer house of Emperor Pedro II. There, you’ll be able to see many important artifacts from the imperial family, such as jewels and the Emperor’s diamond crown. Your guide will teach you about the history of the Brazilian Empire and about the everyday life of the imperial family.
After a break for lunch, you’ll visit São Pedro de Alcântara Cathedral, a marvelous Gothic building which is the mausoleum of the imperial family. Afterward, explore the city and see its German-engineered architecture. Stop in at the Crystal Palace, an erstwhile events venue for the imperial family. Finally, you’ll visit the Flowers Watch and see the Santos Dumont house. Arrive back in Rio at approximately 7:00 PM.
Upgrade your tour to include a visit to a beer factory which makes the oldest beer in Brazil. Learn about the history of beer during a 1-hour tour with tastings included.
- Air-conditioned transportation
- Accredited tour guide
- Entrance fees for the tourist attractions
- Lunch buffet (if option chosen)
- Beer factory tour (if option chosen)
Prepare for the activity
- Comfortable shoes
- Oversize luggage
- Luggage or large bags
• Pick-up is only available for hotels located in downtown, the Lapa district, and the south area of Rio. Consult the supplier to find the closest meeting point from your hotel, if necessary.
• Duration of the tour: approximately 9 hours