From Reykjavik: Langjökull Glacier Ice Cave Tour
Pick-up servicePick-up from your hotel in Reykjavik between 7:15 AM and 7:45 AM (please note that the tour departs Reykjavik at 7:45 AM). Please be ready to leave from your hotel at 7:15 AM and wait for your pick-up in a place where you can be seen or you can see the bus coming. There are many places in the city where the bus will only be able to stop for a moment and the driver cannot exit the vehicle to look for you. Because of traffic limitations, for some Reykjavík city areas, you will have to make your way to the closest pick-up spot. Your hotel receptionist can help you find out which one that is. If you are staying in a private accommodation, please contact the local supplier to know. Pick-up is available from the cruise port. For this, please indicate which cruise port you will be arriving to.
- Visit the man-made ice cave on Langjökull Glacier
- Walk on a glacier and marvel as its icy-blue hues
- See the amazing lava waterfalls of Hraunfossar
- Ride across the ice on a monster 8WD truck
You will travel aboard a new bus equipped with computer tablets in each seat for your convenience. Make use of the GPS-sensitive in-bus audio guide (available in English, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Finnish, French, Japanese, Korean, Chinese Mandarin and German), along with a USB charger and free Wi-Fi.
Then, get ready to stand on top of a vast ice-cap and descend into the icy netherworld of a glacier. You will journey to the ice cave aboard a huge, specially-modified 8WD truck. Discover a man-made tunnel of ice in a remote area of the glacier at the very heart of Iceland. Listen as your guide explains how global warming has started to impact the glacial environment. Then, go on an amazing journey deep within the glacier, and see and feel the stunning blue-hued ice up-close as it's in constant motion.
Until very recently, what lay beneath the surface of Langjökull Glacier was a mystery. Sometimes, with vision and determination, bold ideas can become a reality. The realization of the seemingly crazy notion of boring an ice tunnel deep into the glacier only became possible through the combined efforts of Iceland's top engineers and geophysicists. Once inside, experience temperatures that are usually around 0 degrees Celsius or 32 degrees Fahrenheit.
Continue into the Borgarfjörður Valley and see the stunning mile-long waterfall of Hraunfossar as it gushes through a wall of lava!
- 1-hour guided ice cave tour with all necessary safety equipment
- Local guide on the bus
- In-bus audio guide in a choice of 10 languages
- Tour in a specially-modified 8WD glacier vehicle on Langjökull Glacier
- Headphones (it's recommended you bring your own as they will fit you better and it's better for the environment. However, they are available to purchase on board the vehicle if needed)
- Pick-up from your accommodation (unless you have chosen the tour option with hotel pick-up)
Prepare for the activity
This tour option does not include hotel pick-up. Your tour starts from Reykjavík Terminal, centrally located at Skógarhlíð 10, 105 Reykjavík. Please be at the terminal 15 minutes before your departure time.Open in Google Maps ⟶