Ravenna: Basilica of Sant'Apollinare in Classe Private Tour
- Visit one of the most important and iconic monuments of Byzantine art near Ravenna
- Marvel at the fantastic mosaics you'll see inside the basilica
- Learn all about this fascinating UNESCO site: its history, the artworks hidden here, its architecture and much more
Despite the plundering it suffered over the centuries, the basilica has preserved the splendor of its original building. It is now admired for its beautiful polychrome apse mosaics and ancient marble sarcophagi of archbishops placed along the aisles.
This impressive church rises in all its solemn grandeur at a distance of 8 kilometres from the centre of Ravenna. Commissioned by the archbishop Ursicino, the church was built by Julian Argentarius during the first half of the 6th century on an ancient burial area used in the late 2nd or early 3rd century. Apparently, Saint Apollinaris - one of the first bishops of Ravenna - was buried here.
- Private tour led by an expert guide
- Entrance ticket to the basilica
- Pick-up and drop-off service