Kawiti Glowworm Cave Tour
- Explore the Kawiti Glowworm Cave
- See thousands of glow worms close up, hear about their life cycle
- Enjoy breathtaking stalagmites and stalactites
- Walk through a natural corridor of karst rock formations and pristine rainforest
- Learn more about Maori culture and local history
Once inside, you will see thousands of glow worms spread across the ceiling surrounded by breathtaking stalactites and stalagmites. You will hear about the history of the caves, which were discovered in the early 17th century by Roku. Hineamaru, famous chieftainess of the Ngati Hine Tribe arrived at Waiomio with her aged father, Torongare and her brothers.
As you enjoy the galaxies of glow worms above, your friendly guide will explain the life cycle of the New Zealand Glowworm (Arachnocampa Luminosa) and the intricate webs used to catch their prey. You’ll even get close enough to see the actual body of the glow worm and its stunning blue/green tail light before you make the return bushwalk through a natural corridor of karst rock formations and pristine rainforest.
- Guided caves tour
- Food or drinks
Prepare for the activity
• Minimum numbers apply
• This tour is not wheelchair accessible