Brooklyn: 2-Hour Brooklyn Navy Yard Tour
- From the USS Maine to the USS Missouri, learn about the many famous ships that were built at the Yard when it was operated by the Navy
- Visit a dry dock that dates to 1851 and is still in use for ship repair today!
- See wind and solar-powered street lamps, LEED architecture, and examples of other green initiatives at the Brooklyn Navy Yard
- From ship repair to furniture-making to movie production, learn about the hundreds of creative businesses that are in the industrial park today
- Visit the exhibit at the Brooklyn Navy Yard Center at BLDG 92 that explores the past, present, and future of the site
- See the piers, buildings, and infrastructure that was built during WWII when the Yard nearly doubled in size
For over 150 years, the Brooklyn Navy Yard churned out America's most famous fighting ships, from the USS Maine to the USS Missouri. Located on Brooklyn's historic waterfront, the Yard today is home to hundreds of innovative businesses and is a magnet for green industry in New York City.
On this tour, you'll discover the past, present, and future of the vast 300-acre (126-hectare) site and visit some of the Yard's most intriguing places, including a historic 1851 dry dock that's still used for ship repair today. Also included is the nation's first multi-story green industrial building, former assembly shops that have been repurposed into factories and workshops, a memorial park, and the nearby neighborhood of Vinegar Hill.
This tour includes audio clips from WWII-era workers, historical photographs and architectural renderings, and stories about manufacturers, artists, and even farmers in the Yard today!
While you'll be using a bus to get from place to place (due to the massive size of the site), you will be getting off the bus at most of the stops for a closer look.
- Brochure with a map of the Navy Yard
- Bus and driver
Prepare for the activity
The intersection or Carlton and Flushing Avenues in Brooklyn, NY. You will see a courtyard and entrance to Building 92, the Visitor and Exhibition Center for the Brooklyn Navy Yard across from 1 Carlton Avenue. Come inside and check in with staff at the Visitor Services desk near the big anchor in the entryway.Open in Google Maps ⟶