New Orleans: Destrehan Plantation and Swamp Tour
- Visit the Destrehan Plantation, established in 1787
- Hear about the history of the Destrehan family sugar dynasty
- Cruise through a privately-owned wildlife refuge in the Manchac Swamp
This majestic antebellum plantation home watches over the banks of the Mississippi River, just a few minutes upriver from New Orleans. Costumed docents will intrigue you with the history of the Destrehan family’s sugar dynasty, historic events that occurred at this site, and the unique architectural features of the plantation. Daily trade demonstrations by costumed artisans give an insight into long-forgotten skills that were a vital part of everyday life centuries ago.
Continue to the Manchac Swamp, where you'll cruise through a privately-owned wildlife refuge, home to the legend of Rougarou, or the Cajun werewolf. Get up close and personal with some alligators in an area where time seems to stand still.
- Guided tour of Destrehan Plantation home
- Narrated boat cruise of Manchac Swamp
- Narrated round-trip coach transportation
- Food and drinks
Prepare for the activity
Please arrive at the Gray Line Lighthouse at 400 Toulouse St, New Orleans, LA 70130, USA (behind Jax Brewery), at least 15 minutes prior to tour departure to exchange your voucher for a boarding ticket.Open in Google Maps ⟶