Naples: Chapel of the Treasure of St. Januarius Tour
- Visit one of Naples’ most important and fascinating attractions
- Get carried away by the enchanting story of the Miracle of St. Januarius with a 20-minute audio-guided tour
- Discover the gut feeling between the people and Naples and their patron saint
- Admire the interior of the chapel, a jewel of art and Baroque architecture which contains the most important expressions of 16th and 17th-century art
You will be free to listen to the points of interest through the audio guide, and can also discover the singular story of the Chapel of St. Januarius, which is based on the deep-rooted relationship between the people of Naples and their patron saint. You can admire the feast of frescoes, paintings, statues, silver busts and polychrome marbles, which will transport you into a timeless dimension.
A perfect alchemy seems to harmonize the bronze and silver sculptures, the frescoes, the paintings, and the architectural decorations. It is undoubtedly the High Altar which houses the most precious treasure, and at the back of it is the safe containing the ampoules with the blood of St. Januarius, while the skull bones are conserved in the saint’s bust on the altar. The safe is opened with a pair of cast, chased silver keys which can be admired at the beginning of the museum itinerary together with the copy of the bust. The extraordinary silver altar-front renews the myth of the great 17th-century Neapolitan goldsmith’s art. Along the three sides of the high altar are a series of large and small niches for containing the statues and busts of the co-patron saints.
- Audio guide
- Free admission to the chapel
- Booking fees
- Tour guide
Prepare for the activity
The audio guide desk inside the cathedral of Naples near the Chapel entrance, which is open up to 30 minutes before closing time. Opening Times Mon-Sat*: 9.30 a.m. – 1 p.m./3 p.m. – 6.30 p.m. (audio guide available up to 30 min before closing time) Sunday and holidays*: 9.30 a.m.- 1 p.m./4.30 p.m.-7 p.m. (audio guide available up to 30 min before closing time)Open in Google Maps ⟶
- Passport or ID card
- Sleeveless shirts
• Access to the Basilica is only permitted to visitors wearing suitable attire (no shorts, vests, or sleeveless tops are permitted)