Nagano: 1-Day Snow Monkey and O-Fune Festival Tour
- Witness one of Nagano’s most unique and boisterous local festivals
- Visit the world-famous Jigokudani Snow Monkey Park
- Enjoy lunch at a restaurant nearby the monkey park and experience Nagano’s renowned food culture
From there, it will be time to head to lunch at a nearby restaurant. As one of Japan’s largest food-producing regions, Nagano’s food culture is renowned, and your guide will always be happy to talk all things food as you sit down to an enjoyable autumn lunch.
Well-filled by lunch, you will then board your tour bus and make your way toward Azumino. It is said that Azumino takes it names from the "Azumi" people, a clan of skilled navigators who traveled from the distant south to settle away from the coast. The voyage is said to have taken place during the 7th century, and to this day is celebrated annually in the much-loved "Azumino O-Fune Matsuri".
Taking place over 2 days, the highlight of the festival occurs on the second day, when local residents pull large and colorfully-decorated floats resembling the fabled ships that once sailed from the south, toward a boisterous and well-intended battle in front of the Hotaka Shrine.
Arriving at around 2:15PM, your guide will take you around the beautiful shrine before having you in your reserved seat to witness the battle of the boats between 3:00PM and 4:00PM. With one ship considered male and the other female, the collision of the two is symbolic of a wish for fertility and the successful continuation of the Azumino community. Local, loud, and a whole lot of fun, this festival is a great way to experience Japanese culture at its most enjoyable.
Once the festivities have drawn to a close, your guide will have you back onboard the tour bus and headed back to JR Nagano Station, where the tour is scheduled to conclude by approximately 5:30PM.
- Transportation fee from Nagano to the Snow Monkey Park and Azumino O-Fune Festival
- Snow Monkey Park entrance fee
- Reserved seat at the Azumino O-Fune Festival
- Lunch (vegetarian options are available, please inform beforehand if required)
- English-speaking guide
- Additional food, snacks, and drinks
- Shinkansen/bullet train tickets
Prepare for the activity
Your guide will meet you at JR Nagano Station at 8:30AM. The meeting point is in front of the Information Board, directly opposite the shinkansen/bullet train ticket gates. Please ensure you are at the meeting point in advance of the departure time.Open in Google Maps ⟶
• There are a few days in the year that the monkeys might not come down to the park (in such a case, you will be provided with an alternative
• An infant (0-5) lunch is not included, and the order will be made directly to the restaurant according to your needs
• The tour application deadline is 5 days before the tour at 5:00PM