From Nagano: Nakasendo 2-Day Walking Tour
- Hike along the historic 'Nakasendo Trail', the Edo Period trade route which once connected Kyoto to Tokyo, through the beautiful Kiso Valley
- Explore three of the Nakasendo's best preserved post towns, Narai, Magome, and Tsumago, each renowned for their historic state of preservation
- Spend the night at a traditional inn in Magome with dinner and breakfast
- Discover the Japan of your imagination as your retrace the footsteps of merchants, warriors, and pilgrims who once walked the same path
At approximately 1:00 PM it’s time to start walking. The first day’s walk takes you from Narai through a forested hinterland and onto the town called Ochiai. Your guide will make sure you’re well prepared for the walk and ensure you move at a comfortable pace with plenty of time to discuss and enjoy interesting points along the way. This section of the trail takes most people 2.5 hours to walk and includes some steeper climbs. Move through well-forested areas as you head toward the Torii-Touge Pass.
You'll soon be descending into Ochiai where your guide will give you time for a well-deserved rest and chance to enjoy this pleasant little town. Boarding the tour bus you’ll then be transported directly to the next postal town, Magome. Arriving around 5:30 PM, in Magome your guide will accompany you to your accommodation before wishing you good evening.
The second day begins with breakfast at your guesthouse before meeting up with your guide around 9:30 AM. You’ll have time to explore the town before departing at 10:30 AM to start the second day'as walking, a longer but more gentle 8.4km trail to Tsumago.
This approximately 2.5 hour walk takes you through an undulating landscape of rice paddies, farm fields, streams, forests, and even some waterfalls. Your guide will lead you at a comfortable pace including a longer break around the halfway point to rest your feet and soak in your surroundings.
- Transportation from Nagano to the Kiso Valley and between all activities/attractions
- 1-night accommodation including dinner and breakfast
- English-speaking guide
- Train ticket to Nagano
- People with mobility impairments
Prepare for the activity
Your guide will meet you at the Information Board of JR Nagano Station across from the Shinkansen exit gates at 08:30 (the guide will be there by 08:20). The tour ends at 17:30 at Nagano Station.Open in Google Maps ⟶
- Hiking shoes
• Please be prepared for changing weather conditions including rain (any time of year but especially in June and July) and hot, humid conditions from late June until September. Kiso Valley is a mountainous region, therefore, the weather can change rapidly.
• Accommodation is at a traditional guesthouse including futon bedding (on the floor) and shared bathrooms, typical of a traditional Japanese inn.