2-Day Nagano to Takayama Tour: Snow Monkeys & Central Japan
- Visit the world-famous Jigokudani Snow Monkey Park and learn all about what makes the resident monkeys so unique
- Explore Zenko-ji, one of Japan’s oldest and most important Buddhist temples, and home to the first known Buddhist statue to be brought to Japan
- Enjoy Nagano’s renowned food culture – with lunch included on Day 1 – and sample some of the region’s acclaimed ‘sake’
- Explore the stunning alpine valley of Kamikochi, renowned for its pristine natural state and walk its trails and discover its highlights
- Discover Takayama and its beautiful old town, acclaimed for its beauty and historic preservation
The second day of the tour begins at 8:30 and you will accompany your guide to Japan’s mountainous heartland of the Japanese Alps. Taking approximately 2 hours, you will arrive at the Kamikochi Bus stop by 10:45, before heading into this true mountain oasis. Situated 1500 meters above sea level deep within the Chubu Sangaku National Park, Kamikochi is famous for its pristine natural state, beautiful rivers and ponds, lush forests, and dramatic mountain peaks rising to over 3000 meters. Your guide will accompany you into Kamikochi and make you familiar with its many walking trails and highlights, before setting a meet-up point and time and setting you free to enjoy the next few hours for yourself.
You'll then head to Takayama, admiring Japan’s most stunning scenery and dramatic mountain views as you descent into the town. You'll arrive in Takayama and be dropped-off in the old town with your guide to explore the historic streets in the late afternoon. Known as ‘Sannomachi’ in Japanese, the distinctive black facades of the Edo Period buildings preserve the historic character of the old town. The tour will end with a a bus back to Takayama station.
- Transportation fee from Nagano to Takayama and all between activities/attractions
- Snow Monkey Park entrance fee
- Entry to Kamikochi
- Lunch on Day 1 (vegetarian options are available, please let us know beforehand)
- Sake tasting
- English-speaking guide
- Lunch on Day 2 and other food, snacks, and drinks
- Optional entrance fee to the inner sanctuary of Zenko-ji
- Bullet train tickets
Prepare for the activity
Day 1 Our guide will meet you at the Information Board of JR Nagano Station across from the Shinkansen exit gates at 09:35 (our guide will be there by 09:20). Day 2 Our guide will meet you at the Information Board of JR Nagano Station across from the Shinkansen exit gates at 08:30 (our guide will be there by 08:20).Open in Google Maps ⟶
- Warm clothing
- Hiking shoes
• Kamikochi is located at 1500 meters above sea level and weather can change quickly. Please ensure you have clothing suitable for changing conditions including rain and cooler temperatures (7 to 22℃). The monkey park is located at 850 meters, with similar outdoor clothing suitable for your visit.
• There are a few days in the year that the monkeys might not come down to the park. In such case we will provide an alternative activity.