From Moab: Full-Day Zig Zag Canyon Canyoneering Experience
- Climb up through huge fins of sandstone created from ancient sand dunes
- Marvel at the views in a remote canyon off the beaten path
- Learn how to rappel safely with the attention of a private and experienced guide
- End the day with an epic 220-foot (61-meter) rappel down an impressive, steep rock wall
- View ancient rock art left by Native Americans over 700 years ago
Meet your guide in Moab then take a short drive for about 10 minutes to the nearby trailhead that still manages to feel quite remote. Begin your adventurous 3-mile (4.8-kilometer) hike at the bottom and climb up to a huge, open valley with expansive views of an ancient rock uplift that has been faulted and folded to create a stunning landscape.
From here, hike across rock dunes to your first rappel of the day and spend as much time as necessary learning rappelling techniques with your experienced guide. Then, start off with an easy 30-foot (9.14-meter) rappel to get a feel for what it's like to be on rappel and to trust the rope and system that you've just been taught.
Follow your first rappel with a brief but beautiful corkscrew slot that you will rappel and downclimb through, ending on a spacious ledge above an impressive 220-foot (61-meter) drop. Clip into the rope and slowly step out over the void with the help of your safety-conscious and patient guide.
When you reach the bottom of the rappel, look back up toward the massive sandstone wall and marvel at what you've just done! Finally, take a 1-mile (1.6-kilometer) hike back to your vehicle to return to Moab.
- Private tour
- Experienced guide
- All necessary canyoneering gear except for gloves
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (if arranged with the local partner in advance)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (if not arranged with the local partner in advance)
- Gloves to protect your hands from the rope while on rappel
Prepare for the activity
Meet at the local partner's office located in Moab at 16 South 100 East. From Main Street, turn East on Center St. and then take a right at 100 East. You'll see the shop on your right.Open in Google Maps ⟶
- Hiking shoes
- Packed lunch
- Clothes that can get dirty
- Closed-toe shoes
- Open-toed shoes
• All rappels are backed up
• This tour typically lasts 6-8 hours, depending on your group size and pace
• All tours are private so it will just be your group plus your guide
• Zig Zag Canyon does not require any special clothing or footwear. However, there are a few short climbs and downclimbs which have you sliding your butt and hips against sandstone so wear clothing you don't mind scuffing up or getting dirty
• Although normally a dry canyon, due to recent rains there may be pools with waist to chest deep water in Zig Zag Canyon. Wear clothes you don't mind getting wet
• The best footwear for this activity is low-cut, lightweight style hiking shoes. However, any footwear will work, except open-toed sandals