Milford Sound: Half-Day Guided Milford Track Walk
- Experience a taste of the famous New Zealand Milford Track in Fiordland National Park from Milford Sound
- Walk in a small group with a local, knowledgeable guide who will narrate along the way, sharing stories about the native birds and trees
- Access the track with a short boat ride across the fiord
- View the beautiful Giants Gate waterfall and the legendary track end, Sandfly Point
- Cover a distance of 6.8 miles (11 kilometers) on a well-graded track, suitable for all ages with basic fitness
Departing Milford Sound Wharf, the walk begins with a short boat ride to Sandfly Point. It is then an easy 3.4 miles (5.5 kilometers) alongside the cascading Arthur River, then Lake Ada, on a well-maintained track. Your destination is the Giants Gate. This scenic waterfall is best viewed from the large swing bridge spanning the river.
On your return, you will be walking under ancient temperate rainforest surrounded by an array of ferns, mosses and lichens in vibrant shades of green. The small group of 12 walkers per guide provides an excellent opportunity to learn about the fascinating human heritage of the track.
On completion of the walk, take the opportunity to take photos at the sign marking the end of the track, a site festooned with the boots of walkers who have made it to the end of the walk, not a single step further. Then rejoin the boat for the transfer back to Milford Wharf.
- Return boat transport from Milford to Sandfly Point
- Professional hiking guide
- Safety gear
- A limited number of wet weather gear is available for those guests who don’t have their own but the tour operator needs to know prior to the day of the tour, so please phone them to make arrangements
- Food and drink
When you get there
Departure is from Main Visitor Terminal, Milford Sound. Check in with your guide at 8.30 AM. Please note that Milford Sound is approximately a 2-hour drive from Te Anau. So please depart no later than 6.20 AM if driving from Te Anau. You will meet your guide at the vending machines inside the Visitor Terminal, just inside the main doors. Free all-day parking is available in the main car parks at Milford Sound. Please allow yourself 15 minutes to park and walk to the visitor terminal.Open in Google Maps ⟶