Merzouga Desert: 3-Day Desert Tour from Marrakech
Pickup includedPickup from your accommodation in Marrakech or Riad. If your accommdation is not accessible by car, provide the local operator with a meeting point near your accommodation.
- Spend the night in a Berber tent in the Sahara Desert
- Cross the High Atlas Mountains via the switchback Tizi-n-Tichka pass
- Experience the dunes of Merzouga from the back of a camel
- Marvel at the Berber villages on the mountain sides
- Go to the fortified village of Ait Benhaddou
- Cross the Draa and Dades Valleys
- See the dramatic canyon of the Dades Gorge
- Explore the Kasbah at Ait Benhaddou
Day 1: Marrakech - Tizi - N - Tichka - Ait Benhaddou - Ouarzazate - Dades Gorges
Following a pick-up from your hotel or riad in Marrakech, drive to the Dades Gorges via the dramatic twists and turns of the Tizi-n-Tichka pass in the Atlas Mountains. Enjoy far-reaching views to the traditional High Atlas Berber village of Telouet. Continue to Ait Benhaddou to explore the UNESCO World Heritage Site of the fortified village (Ksour). After lunch in Ait Benhaddou or Ouarzazate, continue to the Dades Valley for an overnight stay in a riad or hotel in the Dades Gorge. Marvel at the geological formations of the scenic area, characterized by a deep and dramatic canyon.
Day 2: Dades Gorges - Tenghir - Todra Gorges - Tinjdad - Erfoud - Merzouga
Following breakfast at your hotel, leave the Dades Gorge for Erg Chebbi at the gateway to the Sahara Desert. See Berber villages scattered along the way, and pass through Tinjdad, Jorf, and Erfoud to get a feel for the Saharan landscape. See the oasis of Tafilalet before your arrival at Merzouga. Pause to relax at Merzouga for a few moments before you climb on to the back of a camel and cross the sand dunes en route to a nomadic Berber camp. See the sand dunes and desert landscape from a timeless perspective as you listen to the drums of the desert camp in the middle of the Sahara. Take photos of the dramatic sunset from the top of a high dune. Then, go to the camp to spend the night in a nomad tent.
Day 3: Camel Trek Back to Merzouga - Atlas Mountains - Return to Marrakech
Wake early to see the beautiful desert sunrise. Then, return to Merzouga by camel. Upon arrival you will be served breakfast and given time to shower at the hotel before the return transfer to Marrakech. Pass the authentic Berber villages of the Atlas Mountains, such as Tinjdad, Tenghir, and Boumalene-du-Dades. Arrive in Marrakech in the evening for the end of the tour services.
- Transportation by air-conditioned vehicle
- 1 night's accommodation in a riad (breakfast and dinner included)
- 1 night's accommodation in a desert camp (breakfast and dinner included)
- Camel ride
- Other food and drink not mentioned in "what's included"
Prepare for the activity
- Comfortable shoes
- Comfortable clothes