Madrid: The Spanish Inquisition Walking Tour
- Learn the origins of the Spanish Inquisition
- Visit key areas of Madrid from the bloody tribunal, including the site of a mass trial
- Go to the Royal Monastery of La Encarnación, and a jail used during the Spanish Inquisition
What began as an attempt to protect the sanctity of the Catholic church and the morality of the population swiftly became an oppressive regime that would leave a dark shadow over the history of Spain. Visit key areas of Madrid where the bloody tribunal took place, and hear the truth about the motives behind it and the people who ran it. Learn how more than 3,000 people were killed in 4 centuries during this troubling relic of Spain's cultural history.
Listen in awe as your guide brings the streets and buildings to life. Visit an old and haunted jail from the Spanish Inquisition, and go to the site of a dramatic mass trial. Explore the origins and influences of the myth of the "Black Legend" and how it influenced the way the Spanish Inquisition was perceived abroad.
- Walking tour
- Local guide
- Pick up or drop-off at your accommodation
Prepare for the activity
Meet in front of the Tourist Information Center on Plaza Mayor, Madrid. Directions: Take Metro line 1, 2 or 3 to "Sol" station and walk 400 meters (1,300 feet) to the meeting point. When arriving at the meeting point, look out for guides wearing red t-shirts and holding red umbrellas.Open in Google Maps ⟶
• This tour is wheelchair accessible
• Your tour itinerary may vary depending on what your guide thinks is best for your group