Shakespeare's Globe Tour and Afternoon Tea with Prosecco
- Be introduced to the world-famous Globe Theatre and life in Shakespeare's London
- Discover how shows were produced in Shakespeare's time and how the space is used today
- Learn how the open-air theatre was constructed using traditional techniques and is held together using 9,500 wooden pegs
- Enjoy live demonstrations throughout the day in the interpretation and demonstration space
- Have a themed afternoon tea in the Swan Restaurant with views of the River Thames and St Paul’s
Throughout the year, expert guides bring this extraordinary open-air theatre to life on a 40-minute guided tour, with colorful stories of the 1599 Globe, the reconstruction process in the 1990s, and how the building works today as an imaginative and experimental theater space. Take a seat ‘within this wooden O,’ then listen, absorb, and ask questions as the secrets of the Globe unfold.
Enjoy exciting live demonstrations in The Guided Tour Welcome and Demonstration Space at various times throughout the day, which include Elizabethan clothing dressings, stage fighting, and printing the plays using a replica 17th-century printing press.
Following your Globe Theatre Guided Tour, eat your way through the twists and turns of Shakespeare's ethereal romantic comedy. Swan’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream Afternoon Tea is inspired by the journey of the play’s characters: from the pea flower of Oberon’s love potion, the apricots Titania feeds to Bottom, to, of course, mulberries from the lovers’ tree.
The afternoon tea is presented on bespoke crockery in the stunning Swan at Shakespeare’s Globe restaurant. Enjoy a glass of Prosecco while taking in London’s iconic skyline and the River Thames.
- 40-minute guided tour (visit length including afternoon tea: 2 hours)
- Guided tour language sheets available in French, German, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Japanese, and Simplified Chinese
- Live demonstrations throughout the day in the interpretation and demonstration space.
- Themed A Midsummer Night’s Dream Afternoon Tea served at Swan, Shakespeare’s Globe, which includes a glass of Prosecco
- Theatre show tickets
Prepare for the activity
The meeting point for the Guided Tour is at the Guided Tours entrance of Shakespeare's Globe, facing the river front. Afternoon Tea is served at the Swan Restaurant, which can be accessed via the Swan entrance on New Globe Walk or via the Globe’s Main Foyer.Open in Google Maps ⟶
• Guided tours take place in all weathers
• There is no dress code, but wear appropriate clothing and footwear as the tours take place outdoors. There is also no dress code for the afternoon tea
• Swan Bar & Restaurant is located on-site
• The Gift Shop can be accessed via the main entrance and is open to the public all day (no ticket required)
• Pescatarian, vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, and yeast-free diets can be accommodated. While Swan will do its best to accommodate other special diets, unfortunately there is no guarantee they will be able to do so
• For further information on guided tour times or to book performances in either the Globe Theatre or Sam Wanamaker Playhouse, please call 0044 (0)20 7401 9919
• Afternoon tea is served from 1 PM Monday to Saturday and from 12 PM on Sundays