Secrets of Hampton Court Palace
- See the Tudor Kitchens, Great Hall, Chapel and Haunted Gallery
- Chart King Henry’s decline from athletic prince to bloated tyrant and hear about the six women who became his queens
- Dig a little deeper and find hidden stories of ghost, executions and 'horrible histories'
- Select a general tour to cover the Tudor and Baroque parts with gardens, and see more of the palace
- Enjoy a tour with a published historian
Step back in time to 1540, imagine the colors, sights, sounds and smells. What was it really like to live, work and eat at Hampton Court and how did people dress? The kitchens are evocative of ordinary life, while the Great Hall, hardly changed since Henry's time, show off his wealth and power. Visit the Haunted Gallery, where you might see the ghost of Queen Catherine Howard, as well as original paintings from the Royal Collection. The beautiful Chapel Royal has the finest 16th century ceiling in England, studded with blue and gold, while the King's colorful royal beasts can be seen outside in a charming Tudor Garden.
A story of two amazing palaces, a Tudor palace made famous by Henry VIII, alongside a 17th century Baroque palace built by William & Mary, with stunning gardens. Why did the British come to have a Dutch king in 1688 and what was he doing at Hampton Court? Find out more about William of Orange, see fabulous interiors including royal bedrooms and look out onto his magnificent Privy Garden as you explore the palace inspired by Versailles! Please choose a general (non costume) tour if you wish to see both parts of the palace, Tudor built and Baroque 17th century additions with your guide.
Join your private costumed or general tour with Siobhan Clarke, who has a BA in Modern History and a Teaching Certificate. She has worked at Hampton Court for 18 years and is passionate about sharing her knowledge of the palace and making every visitor experience the best it can be - inspiring and fun. Siobhan is a Member of the Institute of Tourist Guiding. She has featured on BBC radio and television's 'Secrets of Henry VIII's Palace' and is the author of two books: "Tudor Christmas" and "The Tudors: an Illustrated History".
- Private costumed or general tour with Siobhan Clarke
- Entrance fees
- Food and drinks
- Gratuities (optional)
- Transportation to/from attractions
Prepare for the activity
- Comfortable shoes
- Luggage or large bags
• Wheelchair accessible
• A moderate amount of walking is involved
• There are opportunities to sit during the tour
• Slow pace available on request
• Tour will be adapted to suit all ages, interests and abilities