Kyoto: Samurai Kembu Sword Dancing
- Learn the art of Kembu
- Watch amazing sword dance demonstrations and discover the practices of the Samurai
- Hear about the responsibility of carrying a Samurai sword
- See traditional tales played out on stage with an informative English narration
- Take your own photo holding a sword with a performer
Arrive at the Samurai Kembu Theater and take off your shoes in accordance with the local traditions. Take your seat to listen to a performer narrate an informative introduction about the history and techniques of Kembu. Watch a series of Kembu demonstrations, each with a short history lesson about Samurai culture between the 12th and 19th centuries.
Admire traditional and new-style Kembu rituals, each involving a performer who will brandish their sword in a series of intricate movements while reciting Samurai poems used before heading to the battlefield.
Learn the art of the Japanese folding fan and discover the meaning behind the ceremony of seppuku (ritual suicide). Finish your immersion into Samurai culture with a photo session holding a sword with the performers.
- Entrance fees
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks
- Optional gratuities
Prepare for the activity
Meet at the Samurai Kembu Theater, Kyoto. 4 minutes' walk from Subway Sanjo Keihan Station(Kyoto City Subway) 5 minutes' walk from Sanjo Station on the Keihan Main Line(Keihan rail way) Arrive 5-15 minutes before the activity starts.Open in Google Maps ⟶
• Wear comfortable clothes
• While the introduction lesson to the basics of the art of Samurai is operated as usual, due to ongoing COVID-19 virus preventative measures, the Kenbu show is 30 minutes. After that, you can experience a sword short lesson for 30 minutes.