Johannesburg: Maboneng Walking Tour
- Walk past some of the many new architectural developments in this rapidly developing area
- Wander around one of the oldest traditional healers' markets in the city
- Visit cultural hotspots including a public art gallery and the largest second hand bookstore
Meet your tour guide outside the Curiocity Backpackers hostel before setting off on the walk through the precinct. The first stop is The Cosmopolitan, one of the most elegant heritage buildings in downtown Johannesburg. Built in 1899, it was opened as a hotel and bar in 1902.
Next, venture over to the Drivelines Development, a new urban development that uses upcycled shipping containers as affordable housing. From here you’ll walk over to Agog, the latest addition to Mabongeng’s burgeoning art scene.
Shop at the Kwa Mai-Mai Traditional Healers Market, said to be one of the oldest in the city. Here you’ll encounter Sangomas (traditional healers) and medicines as well as traditional clothing. Round off your shopping spree at The Collectors Treasure, the largest second-hand bookstore in the southern hemisphere.
Finish off the tour with a walk through Doornfontein’s an open-air museum and surrounding cultural hotspots.
- Tour guide fee
- People with mobility impairments
Prepare for the activity
- Comfortable shoes
- Weather-appropriate clothing