From Cusco: 6-Day Quarry Trail Hike To Machu Picchu
Pick-up serviceHotels and establishments in the center of Cusco.
- Trek through amazing scenery with waterfalls and ruins
- Enjoy stunning panoramic views of breathtaking valleys
- Experience a unique Inca Sun Gate and Machu Picchu
- Witness the work of the Incas at the Cachicata Quarry
Day 1: Cusco
In the evening, meet your guide. Take it slow while your body adjusts to the altitude (3400 meters). Check out the beautiful cathedral or nearby ruins of Saqsayhuaman, Qenqo or Tambomachay. A tourist ticket will grant you access into these sites. For a change of pace, head to the central market, or enjoy a meal at Yanapay charitable restaurant.
Day 2: Inca quarry trail
After hotel pick-up, drive to Choquequilla, where Incas worshipped the moon. Head to the starting point, Rafq'a, and set off. Stop at the small community of Socma. Carry on to the Perolniyoc cascade lookout, and stop for photos and a snack break. Continue to the campsite (3700 meters above sea level), and take a break for lunch. After lunch, have the chance to explore the Q'orimarca archaeological site, which once served as a checkpoint to the Incas.
Day 3: Inca quarry trail
Hike to Kuychicassa (approximately 2 hours), the highest pass of the trek (4450 meters). From here, descend to the sacred site the Incas called Intipunku (Sun Gate), with views of the Nevado Veronica Mountain. In the late afternoon, arrive at the Choquetacarpo campsite.
Day 4: Inca quarry trail
Head downhill and stop at Kachiqata Quarry, where the Incas were intercepted by the Spanish. Around midday, your trek comes to an end. Have some free time at Ollantaytambo before taking the short train journey to Aguas Calientes. Spend the night in a comfortable hotel before tomorrow’s visit to Machu Picchu.
Day 5: Inca quarry trail and Machu Picchu
Depending on weather conditions, take a bus at 5:30 AM to Machu Picchu (approximately 30 minutes). If the skies are clear, take in a spectacular sunrise over the ancient city from the Sun Gate, before going on a guided walk around the ruins. Take plenty of free time afterwards to explore on your own. Return to Cusco for a well-earned shower and perhaps a Pisco sour.
Day 6: Cusco
Your adventure comes to an end after breakfast this morning. Check-out time is 9:00 AM.
- Pre-departure briefing
- Inflatable mattress
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Personal tents
- English speaking guide
- Chef and cooking equipment
- Saddled horse in case of emergencies
- 1 6-kilogram capacity bag or duffle bag
- 5 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 3 afternoon snacks and 3 dinners
- Daily morning snack and tea service
- Train tickets to Aguas Calientes
- 1 night hotel accommodation in Aguas Calientes
- Roundtrip bus ticket from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu
- Bio-degradable personal hand soaps
- First-aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle
- Ollantaytambo to Cusco train transfer
- Lunch on the last day
- Optional night in Aguas Calientes
- Alcoholic drinks
- Sleeping bag
- Entrance to Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain
When you get there
• If you are vegetarian, please advise at time of booking
• Please arrange suitable travel insurance before your trip
• The itinerary is an example; hiking times are an average and will vary depending on the group
• Lunch and camp sites may change to meet the needs of the group and conditions
• This trip visits places that are at a high altitude, and as a result, some people can suffer from altitude sickness, regardless of age or physical health