Hiroshima: Half-Day Historical Walking Tour
- Witness the nuclear blast frozen in stone as a warning to the world and a silent memory that unites mankind in the wish for lasting peace
- Stroll through Shukkei-en and admire the beauty of Japanese landscape gardens
- See the mighty walls and the wide moat of Hiroshima Castle
- Gain insight into the historical city of Hiroshima with an English-speaking guide
- Enjoy a small group tour for a maximum of 10 people
Begin your tour at 10:15 AM in front of the Starbucks on the second floor of the JR Hiroshima Station, where trains were running again only 2 days after the drop of the atomic bomb. From here, pass over the Ōta River and admire views of the delta area on your way to Shukkei-en.
Upon arrival in Shukkei-en at around 10:30 AM, walk through the beautiful garden with your local guide before enjoying a short amount of free time there. Next, head toward Hiroshima Castle, home of mighty lords of the region in ancient times, at 11:30 AM. Learn about the dramatic events of the Warring States era and the castle's history with your English-speaking guide, and discover a hidden reason why Hiroshima was chosen as a target for the nuclear bomb.
From Hiroshima Castle, make your way to the Atomic Bomb Dome, the symbol of one of the most unforgettable and sad stories of the last century. Listen to a short lecture about how it happened at this UNESCO World Heritage Site, which is kept in the same state of destruction as the bomb caused. The tour ends here at about 12:45 PM.
- Experienced English-speaking guide
- Admission to Shukkei-en Garden
- Admission to go inside Hiroshima Castle (you can still walk in the castle park free of charge)
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Prepare for the activity
Meet your guide in front of the Starbucks on the second floor of Hiroshima Station, located at 1-2 Matsubarachō, Minami-ku, Hiroshima-shi, Hiroshima-ken 732-0822, Japan. There are 3 Starbucks in the vicinity; the one you are looking for is opposite the JR ticket counters. A map for the exact Starbucks can be found here: https://goo.gl/maps/K3kEqaqMwE32. Detailed information will be sent by e-mail after booking by the local partner.Open in Google Maps ⟶
- Comfortable shoes
• Please note, guests are not allowed to go inside the Atomic Bomb Dome
• The timings stated in the full description are estimates. The exact times and schedule can change depending on how large the group is, the group's interests, or other reasons