Matera: 2-Day Matera, Altamura, and Gravina Compact Tour
- Explore the UNESCO World Heritage site Matera on a guided walking tour
- Admire the beautiful Sassi districts and ancient quarters with cave houses in Matera
- Indulge in a bread tasting of the famous Altamura DOP bread
- Visit the top sights in Gravina including the Medieval Bastion
Meet your guide in Matera at the Piazza Vittorio Veneto and start the walking tour in one of the most fascinating places in south Italy. Stroll along the alleys of the Sassi districts, ancient quarters with cave houses, and rocky churches and explore the city that was named the European Capital of Culture in 2019.
On the next day, meet the driver at Piazza Vittorio Veneto in Matera and depart towards Altamura. Visit the beautiful old town and its Romanesque Cathedral, the only cult building built by the Emperor Federico II of Swabia. Then, head over to the historic bakery for a bread tasting. Sample focaccia and typical bread from the region paired with cold cuts of cheese.
The tour continues on the Water and Stone Path that will lead you to discover the enchanting rocky habitat of Gravina in Puglia. You'll start the tour walking towards the Medieval Bastion, an ancient city wall from the 500. Admire its wonderful Belvedere Terrace on the Habitat Rupestre. Next, visit the cave church of Santa Maria Degli Angeli, cross the Viaduct Aqueduct Bridge and take in breathtaking views. Finally, visit the Rupestrian Church of the Madonna Della Stella.
- Local guide
- Guided tours in Matera, Altamura, and Gravina in Puglia
- Return-trip from Matera by minivan on day 2
- Food tasting in Altamura
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Prepare for the activity
- Passport or ID card
- Luggage or large bags
• This tour is ideal for travelers staying in Matera who want to visit the surroundings
• Transfer by minibus on day 2