Gansbaai: Shark Cage Dive and Onboard Viewing
- Take a thrilling boat ride to the world-famous "Shark Alley"
- Enjoy wonderful on-board viewing from the upper deck
- Marvel at the raw natural beauty at sea, near the Southern most tip of Africa where two oceans meet and breathtaking creatures make their home
- Hop into the water and get up close to one of the ocean's most powerful creatures
Take part in a safety briefing and demonstration. Afterward, board the vessel and take a short boat ride to "Shark Alley." Once there, the boat will anchor and the cage will be lowered into the water.
Put on your wet suit, jump into the cage and see the sharks as they swim by. Enjoy great views of the sharks from both on board and in the water. Sharks are surface feeders and shark activity takes place on or near the surface, meaning you don’t have to actually dive to see a shark.
Hang out at the water’s surface and stick your head under when a shark comes by. You can also enjoy excellent views of the sharks from on deck.
Enjoy seeing a shark up close and in the wild, without having to have extensive swimming experience. The free-floating cage is attached to the side of the boat, allowing divers to their keep head and shoulders above water.
You’ll be able to fully submerge yourself underwater by holding onto the handrail when the sharks pass the cage. No scuba gear or diving certification is required as the use of oxygen supply is not necessary for the experience. A snorkel will allow you to see the sharks just fine. Afterward, enjoy post-dive snacks and refreshments.
Once the local partner has sent you the detailed confirmation of your booking via email, your time slot preference (early morning from 6:00 AM, mid-morning from 10:00 AM or midday from 12:00 PM) can be requested.
- Pre-trip snacks and beverages
- Safety briefing
- Boat ride and experienced crew
- Cage dive (if option selected)
- All necessary equipment (wetsuits, masks, if option selected)
- Post-trip meal and beverages
- Screening of the trip video footage
- Transportation to and from the meeting point, available for an additional cost
- Towels (the local partner is deeply committed to water conservation efforts and reduce unnecessary laundry. Emergency towels are available)
- Underwater cameras are available (limited) for hire for ZAR 350 and the SD card containing your personal footage can be taken home
- A copy of your trip video can be purchased on USB drive for ZAR 350
- Children under 5 years
Prepare for the activity
The meeting point is a large white building located directly opposite the Kleinbaai slipway where the boats launch. The entrance to the office is on ground level, on the right hand side and clearly marked with the local partner's name on a sign. Entrance to the office is on ground level, right hand side and clearly marked from street view as White Shark Diving Co.Open in Google Maps ⟶
- High-heeled shoes
• Please note, this tour operates seven days a week, dependant on the weather. It is recommended to take part in the tour at the start of your visit to Cape Town to allow for alternative weather days before your departure.
• Please note, trips are subject to daily weather and sea conditions.
• Trip times are confirmed a day in advance, once the final weather and sea forecast has been reviewed, and you will receive an e-mail notification of your time on the day prior to the activity.
• The duration of the activity, from the time of your arrival at our premises to the time of departure, is approximately four hours in total, of which approximately two hours is spent at sea.
• The travel time from Cape Town to Gansbaai is 2.5 hours.