Edinburgh Castle Ticket
- Learn the history of the Scottish monarchs
- See the Stone of Destiny, Crown Jewels, and much more
- Listen out for the firing of the One O'Clock Gun
- Enjoy a free guided tour (in English) of Scotland's most iconic castle
Edinburgh Castle dominates Scotland's capital city from its great volcanic summit, and its story has helped shape the nation's story: battles and sieges were fought over it, royalty lived and died within its walls, and countless generations have been inspired by it.
Learn about the many Scottish monarchs it has sheltered, including Queen Margaret (later St Margaret), who died here in 1093, and Mary Queen of Scots, who gave birth to James VI in the Royal Palace in 1566.
In the 1600s, the castle became a military base. Some buildings were rebuilt, while new ones were raised to house a huge garrison and provide a secure jail for prisoners of war. The military presence remains unbroken, but over the last 200 years the castle has become a national icon and is now Scotland's leading tourist attraction.
- Entrance to all attractions within Edinburgh Castle, including the National War Museum
- Short introductory guided tour (English only and first-come first-served basis)
- Audio guide
- Skip the security line
Prepare for the activity
Castlehill, Edinburgh, EH1 2ND. Once over the drawbridge, please go directly to the scanning point straight up the hill and have your mobile or printed tickets ready to be scanned for entry.Open in Google Maps ⟶
- Luggage or large bags
• Tours last approximately 30 minutes and run periodically throughout the day
• To join a guided tour, please ask a member of staff at the castle to direct you to the next available tour
• Tour availability may vary depending on staffing and weather conditions
• For reasons of ease of movement, visitor safety, and general security, suitcases and large rucksacks are not permitted in the castle
• The staff at Edinburgh Castle is unable to store luggage, prams, pushchairs or other personal items for visitors