Cluj-Napoca: Turda Salt Mine & Alba Carolina Fortress Tour
- Visit Alba Iulia.
- Visit Alba Carolina fortress - an impressive six pointed star-shaped fortification surrounded by 12 km of walls.
- Visit Turda Salt Mine - hundred meters galleries open into a huge room carved in salt with a 90 meter height.
You will have the opportunity to travel back in time by visiting an 18th century fortress, Alba Carolina.
After the tour, lunch will be enjoyed in a medieval atmosphere.
Romania’s largest fortress is Alba Carolina, an impressive six pointed star-shaped fortification surrounded by 12 km of walls. The fortification has a symbolic meaning being located in the center of the country, surrounded by the Carpathian Mountains and the place where kings were crowned in Romania. None of the 6 entrances will disappoint. All of them have impressive Baroque decorative elements, specific to European military architecture. The fortification was first a Roman fort, then a fortress during the Middle Ages and later a Vauban type citadel provided with bastions.
Next on the journey is the Transylvanian salt mine in Turda. In this area, the salt deposits were formed 13 million years ago, and the result of two thousand years of work will amaze you. The hundred meter galleries open into a huge room carved in salt with a 90 meter height, and in the middle of it you can enjoy a boat ride on the salt lake. If you are in search of spectacular images to capture, this is the place to be. A glass elevator provides an astonishing overview of the mine. All year long the temperature is constant, between 10 to 12 degrees Celsius, and the salty air has proven therapeutic properties, especially for people with respiratory problems.
- English speaking guide (German and French speaking guides are available on request);
- Entrance fees to Turda Salt Mine
- Bottle of water
- 1 FOC for tour leader (min 20 PAX)
- Lunch (approx. 12 €/person)
- Personal expenses
- People with mobility impairments
- Wheelchair users