Factories to Calories Fulton Market Food Tour
- Explore first-hand the effects of urban renewal and development with changing industries
- Taste boutique quality treats, that currently operate in the post-industrial area
- Experience the culture that has grown from an alternative late 20th century, now part of a high-income culture
- Learn about the history of the industrial era, the effects and the current trends on consumerism
The tour title “Factories to Calories” is named so because of the Fulton Market's shift from a place of production of appliances, furniture and meat products to a hub of consumption for food and drink. Starting with a grand view to see the train and highway systems that made Fulton Market into a vital industrial and meatpacking district throughout much of the 1900s. View the industrial features that have been updated into a design aesthetic showcasing the history.
A one mile jaunt through the neighborbood highlighting the features of dramatic change along the way. As recently as the 1980's and 90's, Fulton Market housed parties, drug busts and low-rent art galleries. The alternative culture have left their mark as today these commercial tenants are high-end retailers and youth-culture corporations like Google. The urban renewal history will be heavily broken down along the tour, as you will be able to taste the fruits of change.
- Engaging tour guide commentary
- Artisanal deli meat sample from Publican Quality Meats
- Half-size signature sub at J.P. Graziano
- Sample-size glass of beer and pickles at Haymarket Pub & Brewery
- All gratuities for servers
- Special gifts