Budapest: Tokaj Wine Country Day-Trip
Pickup includedYour centrally located Budapest hotel
- Discover the winemaking heritage of the scenic Tokaj region
- Take a tour led by a wine-specialized guide
- Taste sweet Tokaji aszú dessert wine
- Visits three wineries, sampling 5-8 varieties at each
- Explore a vineyard and cellar system at one winery
- Sample a cold plate of local products (cheeses and meats)
- Compliment your wine forays with a hearty, 3-course lunch
As you travel, you will learn about this UNESCO-listed region, whose volcanic hills and warm climate are perfect for viticulture and growing "noble rot", a mold that enriches the fabled local dessert wine, Tokaji Aszú. You will learn in detail how wine making began here thousands of years ago, and hear about Tokaj’s old wine cellars that were carved from volcanic rock.
Next, pass through Tokaj's villages and vineyards, and after around 2.5 hours, you will arrive at the first winery. This winery will be the first of three chosen to provide a balanced picture of the region's traditional, modern and experimental wines. Here you will meet with your winemaker host, and continue to sample between 5-8 wines, discussing the flavors and learning about the local furmint and hárslevelu grapes.
Throughout the rest of the day, you will visit two other wineries and sample some of Tokaj's newer dry whites and Aszú varieties. Taste 5-8 wines at each stop, and tour a cellar system and vineyard to discover more about local wine making. About halfway through your tour, you will visit a local restaurant for a tasty 3-course lunch. Venues and menus may change, but your meal will typically include Hungarian classics such as broths or stews, plus a dessert such as strudel.
At the last winery, pair your tastings with cold local snacks such as cured meat and artisanal cheese, before returning to Budapest where your tour will end with a hotel drop-off.
- Hotel pick-up and drop off
- Private guide
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- On-board mineral water and snacks
- Three winery visits with 5-8 wine samples at each winery
- 3-course lunch
- Food tastings at the third winery
- Additional food and drinks
- Gratuities (optional)
Prepare for the activity
• Confirmation will be received at the time of booking
• Adult pricing applies to all travelers
• Vegetarian options are available (please make a note in the "special requirements" field when booking)