Berlin: Half-Day Sachsenhausen Memorial Walking Tour
2019 GetYourGuide Award Winner
Recognizing the best experiences for travelers worldwide. Learn more
- Visit the Kapo's residence and the Green Monster SS canteen
- Visit the infirmary and pathology departments, used to carry out autopsies on prisoners, and to complete medical experiments
- See the punishment cells, execution area and gallows and visit the site of the camp brothel
- Learn about the security systems of the Camp, which included electrified fences and watchtowers
Hear stories of valor from the British Royal Marine Commandos that refused to have their will broken. Learn the fate of Stalin's son, where, as Hitler's personal prisoner, he was detained in isolation for 5 years. Explore the attempted use of death marches to murder remaining survivors before Soviet liberation. later, visit the punishment cells, execution grounds, crematorium, Pathology Laboratory, and hospital.
The tour also details life and death in Special Camp No. 1/7, as Sachsenhausen was to become under the Soviets. This special tour around a frightfully storied location of WWII history is harrowing, but it lends visitors an unparalleled insight into the reality of the Holocaust.
Some sites you may visit on this tour are:
• Death March Memorial
• Station Z
• Commandant's House
• Jewish Barracks
• Punishment Cells
• Pathology Laboratory
• Special Camp 1/7
• SS Training Camp
- Guided Tour in English
- Public transport day ticket. An ABC zone ticket for 1 day is necessary for this tour, The ticket costs approximately 7 EUR.
- Pickup and drop-off
Prepare for the activity
Meeting point West at 10:00 in front of McDonalds, outside main entrance to S+U Zoologischer Garten Train Station. Hardenbergplatz, 10623 Berlin. Meeting point EAST: 10:00 at 'Am to PM' bar/restaurant at S-Bahn Hackescher Markt Train Station exit Am Zwirngraben, 10178 Berlin Please note that as of April 1st 2020, tours will meet outside Friedrichstr. train station, on the square beside the 'Traenenpalast' (Palace of Tears), Reichstagufer 17, 10117 Berlin.Open in Google Maps ⟶
- Comfortable shoes
- Food and drinks
- Public transport ticket
• Good walking shoes and suitable clothing are recommended.
• As of April 1st 2020, tours will meet outside Friedrichstr. train station, on the square beside the 'Traenenpalast' (Palace of Tears), Reichstagufer 17, 10117 Berlin.