Berlin: Small-Group Third Reich and Cold War Walking Tour
A GetYourGuide Original
The ultimate tour experience
- Unforgettable local guides
- Personalized experience
- Hidden highlights
- Priority access
- Full refund if you didn't enjoy the tour
Love where you're going, guaranteedWith a GetYourGuide Originals tour, you can enjoy complimentary rescheduling if you’re late or plans change, and a full refund if you’re not completely satisfied after taking your tour.
Unforgettable local guidesLed only by 5-star guides and local aficionados, you can expect intriguing insights, fun facts, and stories from the people who call your destination home.
Personalized experienceA maximum of 20 people on your tour, which means you'll enjoy a more interactive, personalized experience.
Top sights (and hidden ones, too)On an Originals tour, you'll discover lesser-known treasures that other visitors often miss, bringing you a deeper understanding of your destination.
Priority access — more time to exploreLong line? We'll show you how to skip it. Packed out sights? Follow us to the secret quiet spots. On Originals tours, you can explore in ways that others can't.
The Original experience
- Visit all the major historical spots in the unique city of Berlin with a small group or private tour
- Hear stories and learn the recent history from an experienced and passionate English-speaking tour guide
- Spend 2 hours walking from place to place on this fast-paced but informative journey
- Become an expert on Berlin during the Third Reich and the Cold War
- Make history tangible through encountering palpable historical sources
Meet your tour guide in front of the Brandenburg Gate, the site of many changes in 20th-century Berlin. Listen to expert commentary about the last days of the Second World War and hear how the gate came to be a symbol of reunification in Germany after 1989.
Next, learn about the curious Reichstag Fire of 1933 as you pass the German House of Parliament. Here you’ll delve deep into the key events that took place after the appointment of Hitler as Chancellor of Germany in 1933, what happened to this building since the fall of the wall in 1989 and how it is used today.
Continue your whistlestop sightseeing tour via the Soviet War Memorial in Tiergarten, you’ll have the chance to examine Soviet military hardware, tangible sources of the history of the city.
From here you’ll move onto the impactful Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe, a poignant dedication to the Jewish victims of the Holocaust.
After seeing the site of Hitler’s Bunker you’ll progress onto Hermann Göring's enormous Ministry of Aviation building, later the site of the founding of the GDR in 1949. Next, you’ll head to see where the SS and the Gestapo institutions were located.
Contemplate life on both sides of the Berlin Wall while gathering around a 200-meter long stretch of the wall. Despite the wall falling 30 years ago, standing here allows you to absorb the very palpable history of the city.
Round off the walk with a stop at Checkpoint Charlie, where your guide will finish the tour with anecdotes about the infamous American versus Soviet tank standoff and the final hours before the wall fell.
- Expert guide
- Public transport tickets to or from the tour meeting point
- Entrance tickets to attractions
Prepare for the activity
• In front of the tourist information point at Brandenburg Gate, Pariser Platz 1 • Closest public transport: S-Bahn and U-Bahn station Brandenburger Tor (S1, S2, S25, S26 and U55); Buses 100 and 245 • Look for a guide wearing GetYourGuide attire and holding a red GetYourGuide flagOpen in Google Maps ⟶
- Comfortable shoes
• Tours run in all weather conditions and on public holidays
• Expect to walk approximately 3 kilometers on the tour