Berlin: Sachsenhausen Small Group Bus Tour
- Drive through Oranienburg and see where the inmates would have worked
- Visit the commandants house
- Experience the interior of the camp, where 35,000 people died during the years of its operation
- Explore the infirmary barracks, where experimentation took place during the war
- Learn about the how Sachsenhausen was re-purposed by the Soviets as a special camp after World War II
Sachsenhausen was the first concentration camp that was built from the ground up to be a camp, planned and designed for maximum control. You can enter the old barracks and learn about daily life for the inmates of the camp, as well as how hard labor, starvation, disease, torture and death were a part of daily life. You will also see the harrowing areas where people were gassed, shot by firing squad, or hanged.
With your guide, you'll walk around the interior of Heinrich Himmmler's new, modern, and always expandable concentration camp. You can visit the commandants house, before walking through Tower A, where the iconic words "Arbeit Macht Frei" can still be seen on the gate today.
The East Germans memorialized Sachsenhausen in 1961, and today you can experience the location where atrocities were committed, as well as discover how the Germans deal with their history and how they come to terms with their past today. Once the tour has concluded, you will be picked up and brought back to Berlin in an air-conditioned bus to the meeting point at Zoologischer Garten station. Once your tour has concluded, your guide will be happy to answer any and all questions you may have about your stay in Berlin.
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Licensed guide trained by the memorial authority
- Group tour of Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp Memorial
- Entry into the Sachsenhausen Memorial
- Map of the former concentration camp
- Return trip to Berlin Zoologischer Garten station
- Hotel pickup and drop off
- Food and drinks (please bring snacks and a drink with you)
Prepare for the activity
In front of McDonald's, outside main entrance to S+U Zoologischer Garten train station. Hardenbergplatz, 10623 Berlin. Please note that as of April 1st 2020, the meeting point will be outside Friedrichstr. train station, on the square beside the 'Traenenpalast' (Palace of Tears), Reichstagufer 17, 10117 Berlin.Open in Google Maps ⟶
• Please wear weather-appropriate clothing and comfortable walking shoes.
• As of April 1st 2020, tours will meet outside Friedrichstr. train station, on the square beside the 'Traenenpalast' (Palace of Tears), Reichstagufer 17, 10117 Berlin.