Banff: 2-Day Overnight Backcountry Lodge Trip by Horseback
- Experience the thrill of horseback riding through Banff's backcountry with a guide
- Pass by mountains, glacier-fed rivers, wildlife and more
- Relax in rustic comfort at Sundance Lodge with home-cooked meals, hot showers, comfortable beds and a cozy living room with a wood-burning fireplace
On the first day, start the trip at the stables in Banff, where you will meet your trusty horse, specifically picked for you. Even if you have no experience, you'll be matched with a mild-mannered horse and be taught everything you need to know. You’ll be surprised at how quickly you gain confidence in the saddle. All the horses are steady, responsive, and can be counted on to cross any terrain, from forest paths to boulder-strewn creeks.
On the ten mile journey to your lodge, follow the trail alongside the rushing glacier-fed waters of the Bow River, Healy Creek, and Brewster Creek. Along the way, stop for a simple, hearty cowboy-style hot lunch on the banks of the river. You’ll arrive at Sundance Lodge late afternoon, This is an ideal place for those who want to marvel at the beauty of the Banff backcountry, while still being swaddled in comfort. Settle into your room and freshen up from your day on the trail, then gather around the table for a gourmet meal and an evening of conversation.
Arise on the second day to enjoy a delicious breakfast, and some free time to enjoy your morning and the surrounding countryside. You will begin the ride back to Banff in the late morning, bringing along handmade sandwiches for the journey, as well as fresh-baked goodies and fruit. Return to Banff at approximately 4:30 pm, with plenty of stories to tell about your adventure in the backcountry.
- 1 night´s accommodation at Sundance Lodge
- Fully catered menu
- A friendly horse for every rider
- Basic horseback riding instruction
- Trail fees
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- National Park Entry Fee
- Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase)
- Transportation to/from the stables
- Children under 9 years
- Pregnant women
Prepare for the activity
Warner Stables is the big red stables located at the end of Sundance Road in Banff. When you arrive, please check-in for your ride at the office in the east barn which has signs for ‘Warner Stables’ and ‘office’. The stables are located approximately a five minute drive or a 20 minute walk from downtown Banff, and there is plenty of free parking at the site.Open in Google Maps ⟶
- Insect repellent
- Open-toed shoes
- Unaccompanied minors
• There is limited electricity, no WiFi, or cell service along the trail
• Riders must be physically capable of controlling the horse
• Minimum age is 9 years. Please note that children cannnot be paired with an adult – they must ride their own horse
• Helmets are mandatory to be worn by all backcountry riders under 18 years of age
• Children aged 15 years and under must have someone 18 years and older with them at all times
• Adults must sign a waiver for all activities, and a waiver must also be completed by the parent or legal guardian of any person under the age of 18 (documentation may be required to confirm the signatory’s authority)
• Minimum drinking age is 18 years
• Maximum rider weight is 250 lbs.