Athabasca Glacier: Columbia Icefield Parkway Tour from Banff
- Travel along the world-famous Icefields Parkway, one of the world’s most stunning scenic drives
- Climb aboard the Ice Explorer and travel onto the ancient Athabasca Glacier
- Take in unparalleled views from the glass floored Glacier Skywalk
- See iconic Rocky Mountain landmarks such as Bow Lake and the headwaters of the mighty Bow River
- Pass by numerous peaks, glaciers, waterfalls, and lakes
The highlight of the tour is the Glacier Adventure, located approximately halfway along the Icefields Parkway near the border of Jasper National Park. Stop at the Columbia Icefield Glacier Discovery Centre and board a bus that will take you to the specially designed 56-passenger Ice Explorer vehicle. Then, drive onto the Athabasca Glacier that is thousands of years old. After learning about the glacier along the way, enjoy 20 minutes of free time on the glacier to soak up the views, touch this ancient sheet of ice, and even drink pure, cold water straight from the glacier.
From here, head to the nearby glass floor Glacier Skywalk and follow the 1 kilometre walkway that leads to a platform where glass is all that separates you from a 918-foot (280 m) drop. As you step out on the cliff-edge walkway, witness the giant glaciers perched above you and admire the views of the spectacular Sunwapta Valley spread out below.
After the Glacier Adventure component of the tour (around 3 hours in total), there will be a scenic stop (weather permitting) to enjoy your hearty packed lunch of a sandwich, juice, fruit, chips and brownies. Visit iconic landmarks along the Icefields Parkway such as Bow Lake, the headwaters of the mighty Bow River before heading back to Banff.
- Banff hotel pick-up and drop-off
- A professional certified guide
- Small group tour size (up to 24 guests per guide)
- Columbia Icefield Glacier Adventure: Ice Explorer and Glacier Skywalk
- Packed lunch
Prepare for the activity
Please meet in the public bus parking area behind the Mt Royal Hotel (hotel address: 138 Banff Ave, Banff). There is a seat located in the middle of the carpark while you wait. Please be ready for pickup 15 minutes prior to your tour start time, and look for a blue mini bus that says 'Discover Banff Tours'.Open in Google Maps ⟶
- Comfortable shoes
- Warm clothing
- Luggage or large bags
• Infant rates do not include food