Volendam, Edam, and Windmills Tour from Amsterdam
- Explore the historic windmills of Zaanse Schans
- Learn how Dutch cheese is being made on an old farm
- Stroll the twisting streets of Volendam, and soak up the fishing village atmosphere
- Watch traditional craftsmen at work, making clogs and other artifacts
- Marvel at the landmark monuments of Volendam, including the old fish auction rooms
Watch live demonstrations of craftsmen at work, including a clog maker crafting the famous wooden shoes of the Netherlands. There will be some free time to explore the village on your own, before traveling through the distinctive polders (land reclaimed from the water) of the Beemster area.
From there continue on to Edam, also commonly referred to as the pearl of the Zuiderzee. Edam’s ancient streets and tranquil canals are lined by beautiful 17th century buildings, including the leaning Carillon tower, the Great Church, and town hall. Most famous in Edam is beyond any doubt the public weighing house, where in summer still every Wednesday the famous Edam Cheese is being sold.
After a stroll around this history-rich town, you’ll have the opportunity to see how Edam’s world-famous cheese is made and, of course, to taste it in a closeby cheese farm.
Finally, you will stop in the beautiful seaside village of Volendam. This typical fishing village with its bustling harbor has been a major tourist attraction as early as 1875. People come from all over to see the small buildings and houses and take in the locals in their traditional Dutch clothing. This is a great place to pick up souvenirs for those at home or a memento for yourself, and to have photos taken in traditional Dutch costume. Your guide will take you on a short walk through the oldest parts of the city, exploring a labyrinth of twists and turns to sites such as St. Vincent’s Church, the wooden Stolphoevekerk and the Visafslag (Fish Auction).
- Transportation by single decker bus with live guide
- Pick-up and drop off in Amsterdam
- All taxes and parking fees
- Visit to a clog (wooden shoe) maker
- Visit to a cheese weighing house
- Food and drinks
- People with mobility impairments
- Wheelchair users
Prepare for the activity
- Till May 20th: - A’DAM tower/Lookout, Overhoeksplein 5, opposite central station (Check-in desk inside the entrance of the A’DAM Lookout) - From May 20th: - THIS IS HOLLAND – Overhoeksplein 51, opposite central station. How to get here: A free shuttle ferry to Buiksloterweg runs 24/7 from Amsterdam Central Station to the north shore of the river IJ. Journey time is three minutes). Embark via the two middle pontoons. On disembarking, turn left. It’s two minutes’ walk to THIS IS HOLLAND.Open in Google Maps ⟶
- Comfortable shoes
• Comfortable walking shoes are recommended
• Times are subject to change due to local traffic conditions
• Informative, friendly and professional live guide
• May be operated by a multi-lingual guide
You might also like...
Product ID: 50111