Amsterdam: 3-Hour Multicultural Food Tour
- Immerse yourself in the stories of people from around the world who have chosen to settle in Amsterdam
- Stroll along the city’s best shopping streets and admire the many multi-cultural influences that have shaped Amsterdam’s vibrant shopping scene
- Meet the locals and try the diverse range of international foods that the Dutch have adopted as their own
- Go behind the scenes of an innovative arts project that supports and welcomes immigrants to the city
Your Amsterdam tour will begin in front of the Tropen Museum, a poignant place to start our tour given that we’ll be focusing on the cultural melting pot that is Amsterdam, and this space celebrates the people of the world and the wide-ranging cultures they have created. If the weather is good, you’ll make your way through the peace and quiet of Oosterpark, arriving at a popular local shopping street where you’ll wander and make a beeline for the local market. On the way, you’ll try some Turkish desserts, an absolute must on this side of town. Then you’ll explore some of the most exciting and diverse shops in the area, meeting friendly vendors, including a grocer from Iraq and a talented haberdasher from Morocco. At the market, ask your guide to point out where the kibbeling stand is. These Dutch snacks consist of battered chunks of deep-fried fish, served with garlic mayonnaise or tartar sauce. There will be another treat too, but that will be kept as a surprise.
Next up, you’ll take a walk through the trendy Indische Buurt neighborhood, before taking the tram towards your next stop, the Ondertussen Foundation. Here, you will enjoy an exclusive behind-the-scenes look at the important work they’re doing with refugees, offering studio space to both refugee and non-refugee artists which promotes cross-cultural engagement and supports new arrivals as they find their feet in a new city. The organisation's mission is to not only to help bring artistic freedom to refugees, but to also include and document the refugee experience in the contemporary Dutch arts scene and to encourage and embolden the cultural conversation in Amsterdam. You will have the chance to hear personal stories from the artists themselves, who are using this historic space to produce and exhibit their art, helping them to make a life for themselves here in Amsterdam.
The tour ends here but if you want to continue your immersion into Dutch multiculturalism, the new Holocaust Museum is next door (entrance fees at your own cost). Alternatively, ask your in-the-know guide for tips on where to explore next.
- Local English-speaking guide
- Three foodie treats
- Donation to the Ondertussen Foundation
- Additional food and drinks
- Souvenirs and personal shopping
- Tips/gratuities for your guide and any vendors or shop owners
- Any artwork you wish to purchase to help further support the Ondertussen in the Kweekschool
Prepare for the activity
Outside Tropen Museum entrance, Linnaeusstraat 2, 1092 CK. Note that trams 9, 10, and 14 all go to the Tropen Museum. The entrance to the museum is on the right-hand side of the buildingOpen in Google Maps ⟶
• For your Urban Adventure you will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people
• Net proceeds from this tour will go directly to the Ondertussen arts program at Kweekschool