Amsterdam: Half-Day Zaanse Schans Tour and Canal Tour
- See the historic wind mills of Zaanse Schans
- Learn how Dutch cheese is being made in a farm
- Watch traditional craftsmen at work, making clogs and other artifacts
- Enjoy a 1-hour canal cruise and see all the highlights of Amsterdam from the water
The windmill village Zaanse Schans is an open-air museum that houses a collection of working windmills, wooden houses, barns and shops dating back to the 18th and 19th Century. All these buildings were brought here from 1961 onwards bringing back to life this most prosperous period of the Zaan region. In its golden age, the Zaan Region developed into an industrial area on a scale never seen before, with 600 active windmills which acted as wooden factories powered by wind. In these small factories, many tasks were being executed with the aid of wind energy: wood sawn by machines, the grinding of spices, oil for food and paint, flower, cocoa powder and many other things.
The prosperity in the 18th and 19th century can be seen in the Zaanse Schans windmill village in several ways. Alongside windmills, barns and other buildings, you will see beautiful houses that were originally built as homes to rich windmill owners and merchants. These houses have attractive facades, and have been painted in traditional colors such as green, beige and light blue.
Upon arrival in the village, your guide will take you on an orientation tour of the village. You will visit the clog museum, annex wooden shoemaker shop, and in the cheese farm you will get to taste traditional Dutch farmer cheese. It will then be time to further explore the village on your own. Before you set off to discover the Zaanse Schans on your own, your guide will give you further information on the Zaanse Schans and its unique character, teach you local history and culture, and provide you with insider tips about what to do and where to go.
Once back in Amsterdam, your guide will issue you your ticket for a 100 Highlights Cruise of Stromma Netherlands. The Amsterdam 100 Highlights Cruise passes all of Amsterdam's famous attractions. You will encounter canal houses from the Golden Age, the Westerkerk, and the Anne Frank. Sightseeing in Amsterdam couldn't be a more relaxing experience!
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Transport by air-conditioned single-deck coach
- Live commentary on board
- 100 Highlights Cruise in Amsterdam of Stromma Netherlands
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks
When you get there
THIS IS HOLLAND – Overhoeksplein 51, opposite central station. How to get here: A free shuttle ferry to Buiksloterweg runs 24/7 from Amsterdam Central Station to the north shore of the river IJ. Journey time is three minutes). Embark via the two middle pontoons. On disembarking, turn left. It’s two minutes’ walk to THIS IS HOLLAND.Open in Google Maps ⟶
• A small moderate of walking is involved (comfortable walking shoes are recommended)
• This tour may be operated by a multilingual guide
• Infants must sit on parents' laps
• Times are subject to change due to local traffic conditions