Petra in a Day: Private Tour from Amman
Pickup includedPick-up from your hotel in Amman.
- See the main, rock-carved sites of Petra such as the Treasury and Monastery
- Transfer by modern vehicle along the desert highway from Amman
- Go to the Place of Sacrifice between the hills
Upon arrival at Petra, pass the Siq. Continue to the stunning Treasury carved into the sandstone rock. Then go to the Theatre and beautiful rock-carved Monastery. This is so huge that even the doorway is several stories tall. On the way to (or from) the Monastery, you can visit the Place of Sacrifice, located between the hills. Marvel at the 1,050 stairs that lead up to the site.
Petra's name comes from the Latin word "petrae" ("rock") and the city lies in a great rift valley east of Jordan's Wadi Araba. It came into prominence in the late first BCE (BC) through the success of the spice trade. It was the principal city of ancient Nabataean and famous for its trade and hydraulic engineering systems.
The city was autonomous until the reign of Trajan, but flourished under Roman rule. It grew up around its colonnades and followed the flow of the Wadi Musa. The quarries were probably opened during this period and continuous building followed throughout the first and second centuries CE.
After you've seen the main sites of Petra and been to the Place of Sacrifice, return to the transfer vehicle and journey back to Amman.
- Hotel pick-up and drop off
- English-speaking driver
- Transportation by private, modern, air-conditioned vehicle
- Local site guide at Petra for 2 hours
- Entrance fees to Petra
- Travel insurance
- People with mobility impairments
Prepare for the activity
- Passport or ID card
- Sun hat