Washington DC: 3-Hour Private National Mall Tour
- Discuss the history of America's front yard, the National Mall, as you and your guide cover it by foot
- Explore various monuments and buildings along the Mall and their significance to the US
- Visit iconic sites such as the Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, Vietnam Veteran's Memorial, and more
The tour begins in the shadow of the Capitol Building, where you can appreciate the full sweep of the Mall ahead of you. Here, delve into the story of DC's development, from the master plan of L'Enfant through the work of Daniel Burnham and others to create a city symbolic of America and the idealism of its government. With this path before you, you and your guide will use these plans to draw parallels between DC and the urban planning of other great world capitals, such as Rome and Paris.
Move forward, down the National Mall and walk its length from the reflecting pool in front of the Capitol Building all the way to the Lincoln Monument. Along the way, pass places that serve as symbolic reminders of the United States' history and national identity. Although the exact itinerary depends on the interests of the group and the expertise of the guide, stops may include the Hirshhorn Sculpture Garden, Smithsonian Castle, the Tidal Basin and Jefferson Monument, the Washington Monument, and the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
The conversation will inevitably shift as you progress, from thinking about the landscape itself to what it contains, and focusing on the memorials and monuments that have served as backdrops for countless events and are symbolic of American struggles and idealism. This will lay the groundwork for an interesting conversation about memorialization at large. The walk ends at the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial, where you'll address current issues surrounding the future of the National Mall.
- Guided tour led by a local, expert guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off is not included and cannot be accommodated
- Gratuity is not included and left to the guest's discretion
Prepare for the activity
Your local expert will meet you at the northeast corner of Independence Avenue SW and 3rd Street SW, in front of a sign for the United States Botanical Gardens Conservatory. The corner is adjacent to the gardens and is just east of the National Museum of the American Indian.Open in Google Maps ⟶