Grape Grazing: Wachau Valley Winery Biking Tour
- Bike through the Wachau Valley
- Visit small family-owned wineries and a local wine co-operative
- Learn about the region’s fascinating history and culture from your guide
- Explore Dürnstein, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, or hike up to the castle ruins where Richard the Lionheart was once imprisoned
- Cool off in the River Danube
Enjoy a glorious day of sipping, swirling, and casual cycling through the country’s most famous wine-making regions.
World-renown for its quality white wines, stunning villages, and breathtaking scenery, the Wachau Valley is the perfect place to enjoy a day away from the hustle and bustle of the city. Arrive by train and then hop on your bike to explore with your expert guide. Breathe in the fresh country air as you cycle by historic towns, charming villages, and spectacular scenery.
Stopping at local wineries, you’ll sample dry and fruity whites as well as other delicacies, like the valley’s famed apricot jams and liqueurs. During free time, explore the medieval town of Dürnstein, a well-known Wachau highlight, complete with a castle where Richard the Lionhearted was once held prisoner. Or perhaps you’d rather swim in the Danube and then enjoy lunch at the local tavern, a traditional family-run restaurant. When your time in the valley is up, take a relaxing train ride back to Vienna.
This winery bike tour of the Wachau Valley is the perfect choice for those looking for a unique wine tasting experience that combines fun, biking, and stunning scenery.
- Transportation from Vienna
- Tasting fees at all wineries
- Expert guide
- Bike rental, helmets, and rain ponchos
- Lunch at a local restaurant - around €13 per person
- Electric bikes
Prepare for the activity
- Comfortable shoes
- Sun hat
Lunch at a local restaurant is available for an extra €13 (EUR), payable to your guide on the day of the tour. Other lunch options are also available - please ask your guide for details
The bike route is approximately 14 miles, or 25 kilometers, long. It is not a strenuous ride, and it is suitable for all ages. There are stops throughout the tour, so you are not riding for the entire day. The longest you bike without stopping is for 30 minutes at a time - depending on the direction of the wind.