Venice: Murano and Burano Half-Day Glass and Lace Tour
- Explore the glass blowing traditions of Murano at an artisan's workshop
- See women making lace on the tiny island of Burano, and get an explanation of the dying art in English
- Wander the streets of Burano to see the brightly painted houses
- Follow in the footsteps of Michelangelo and take home your own lace keepsake
Your guide will keep you entertained on the short boat ride to the small island of Murano, famous for its glass making traditions. Historically, Murano glassblowers were the only Europeans that knew how to create a mirror, and their skills were so valued they were banned from leaving Venice on the threat of execution.
Watch a craftsman in action and listen to a description of the process in English. Learn how silica sand becomes glass, and how the glass is given color. Afterwards, there will be time to browse the huge collection of glass art, and wander the island on your own.
Back on the boat, cruise to the tiny island of Burano to see the brightly-painted houses huddled tightly together along streets and canals. Burano’s main claim to fame is its centuries-old lacemaking tradition. Stroll through the streets to a small building where women feverishly stitch lace, just as their mothers and grandmothers used to do.
Your guide will explain the process of this dying art. Then, you can follow in the footsteps of Michelangelo and pick out your own keepsake. Or, wander the winding streets, sampling delicious cookies at local bakeries.
Unlike other tours, this excursion intentionally omits Torcello to provide you with more time on Murano and Burano, and with less time on the boat or trekking inland.
- Glass making demonstration at a Murano factory, with commentary in English
- Lace making demonstration at a shop in Burano, with commentary in English
- Discount at the glass blowing and lace-making venues where the demonstrations are held (10% or more, depending on the item)
- Headsets where necessary
- Round-trip transportation by boat
- Hotel pick-up and drop off
When you get there
Meet your guide 15 minutes prior to departure. 13.30 if your tours starts at 13.45; 14:15 if your tours starts at 14.30. Meet by the statue of the man on a horse at the San Zaccaria vaporetto stop, in front of the lagoon.Open in Google Maps ⟶