Venice: Guided Tour of Doge's Palace and St. Mark Basilica
- See the mosaics of the Basilica of San Marco on a rare extended tour
- Skip the long lines and get fast-track entry to the Doge's Palace and St. Mark's Basilica
- Discover hidden gems, such as Campo San Luca and Campo SS Giovanni Paolo, where Venetians go about their lives surrounded by stunning architecture
- Walk across the Bridge of Sighs
- See the house where Marco Polo lived before he set off for China and the Far East
- Admire the ceiling frescoes painted by Tintoretto at the Doge's Palace
- Gaze down at bustling waiters and string quartets in Piazza San Marco from the 2nd floor of the Basilica
- Marvel at the reflection of the Rialto Bridge in the Grand Canal
Your first will be Rialto Bridge, the vast marble beauty that ran far beyond its budget. But when the sunlight dances on its smooth stone, and its reflection shines in the water below, it’s worth every penny.
Continue to Marco Polo’s house to hear about one of the most famous sons of Venice, who went to sea and came back with extraordinary stories of China and the East. Admire the lively Campo San Luca and Campo SS Giovanni Paolo, where locals carry out their daily deeds in the shadow of spectacular architecture.
Next, tour the Basilica San Marco, and marvel at the diversity of Venetian culture as your guide points out where eastern architecture and western design combine. In a rare extended tour, learn how St. Mark’s remains arrived illegally, and see countless treasures, some made in Venice and others plundered during the Crusades. End with a view over the Piazza from the 2nd floor of the Basilica.
Finally, tour the Doge’s Palace, where Casanova was held in an attic prison before his escape. Admire ceiling frescoes by Tintoretto and paintings by Veronese in the exquisite rooms. End with a walk across the Bridge of Sighs, named for the prisoners that walked its length on their way to their cells.
- Skip-the-line access to St. Mark’s Basilica
- Entrance ticket to the terraces of St. Mark’s Basilica (approximate EUR 7 value)
- Skip-the-line-access and entrance to the Doge’s Palace (approximate EUR 19 value)
- Local expert guide
- Headsets where necessary
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
Prepare for the activity
You must be at the meeting point at least 15 minutes prior to tour departure. Meeting Point: Please meet front of the bronze Carlo Goldoni statue in Campo S. Bortolomio, near the San Marco side of the Rialto Bridge. If arriving from the Rialto Bridge: When stepping down from the bridge on the San Marco side, continue straight ahead for roughly 200 ft. (60 m.) to Campo San Bortolomio. The bronze statue will be on your left towards the center of the campo. GPS Coordinates: 45.437705, 12.336818Open in Google Maps ⟶
• For all running days (excluding Sunday), the service ends at 12:30 at the Doge’s Palace. On Sundays the service ends at 18:00 at the Doge’s Palace
• This tour involves a fair amount of walking and steep staircases. Comfortable shoes are recommended
• Wheelchairs and strollers cannot be accommodated on this tour
• It is the individual responsibility of all visitors to arrive at the tour departure points
• Entrance into churches requires appropriate dress. Shoulders and knees must be covered. Entry may be refused due to improper dress
• Please do not bring large bags, tripods, non-collapsible umbrellas, or backpacks on this tour. They are not permitted in St. Mark’s Basilica and must be checked into the luggage storage area off-site. You may miss a portion of the tour for this procedure.